Sunday Stealing



Edited/renumbered for consistency

1. Where did your name come from?

My real name or the name I use here on the internet?  

My real name is Robin.  In accordance with Jewish tradition, I was given an English name and a Jewish name.  My Jewish name is Raisel, I was named after my great aunt Raisel.   

My father wanted to name me after his mother, Dora, who died before I was born,  but there was a problem.  Jews from Eastern Europe only use the names of deceased relatives when choosing a name for their children, and ... well, my mother's mother was also named Dora.  She was very much alive when I was born, and very superstitious,  Using her name would be tantamount to wishing her dead...

I use "songbird" on the internet because a robin is a songbird.



2. Where were you born?

Right here on Long Island.  The hospital where I was born no longer exists, I think there's a drug rehab clinic there now.


3. What as your house like, growing up?

Which house?  We moved when I was 8.  

The old house was a split level on a busy suburban street, nice house with a great yard.

The "new house"   (I can't really think of it as new anymore) is a colonial in a suburb that likes to pretend it's still farm country,   Our back yard borders on an 18 acre "nature preserve", really just a plot of woods that hasn't been developed.



4. What was your childhood bedroom like?

I shared a room with my sister at the old house, but I don't remember what it was like.  I had my own room in the new house, Yellow carpet, white colonial-style furniture, and curtains and a bedspread made by my aunt.


5. Did you travel as a child? Where?

I remember a trip to Washington DC when I was 5,  We went to Lake George, NY when I was 10 and to Williamsburg, VA when I was 14.  And Miami Beach with my grandmother when I was 12.


6. Write about your grandparents.


All four of my grandparents were immigrants from Eastern Europe. My paternal grandparents and my maternal grandfather died before I was born,  My maternal grandmother lived to be 96.  She told a lot of stories about growing up in Poland and about her experiences as an immigrant to this country.


7. Who taught you how to drive?


My mom and my Driver's Ed teacher.


8. When did you first leave home?


At 18 I went away to college. I lived on campus throughout my college and law school days.  I went to the State University of New York at Albany, some four hours away from home.  I went to Hofstra Law, here on Long Island, but it was easier to live on campus than commute.  

Graduated at 24, got an apartment at 25.  Got married at 27.  

Got divorced at 34, my kids and I moved in with my parents "temporarily".  26 years later, my kids have moved out. but I still live with my mother.


9. What did your parents do for work?


My father was a WW II veteran who went to college on the GI Bill.  He was a proud alum of Brooklyn College.   He became an English  teacher, and eventually became a school administrator.

My mother is a graduate of Hunter College, which is part of the City University of New York.  She was able to go because there was no tuition at CUNY schools back then.  She became a Social Studies teacher. She was a stay-at-home mom for most of my childhood -- understandable, as I am one of four children, and my dad made a good living.   She went back to work when I was in high school, but could not find a permanent teaching job.

So she took a civil service exam and found a job as a court clerk.  And then, right after my graduation from Hofstra, my mother enrolled at Touro Law School.  She worked all day at the courthouse and went to school four nights a week.  She'd call me often for advice, and I joked that I actually went to law school twice.

And when she graduated, she got a job as an attorney in a state agency.


10. Who inspired you as you matured?


My mother is an amazing woman.


11. What was the best part of your 20s?


I established my career, I fell in love and I got married.


12. What as the best part of your 30s?

Raising my daughters.  Jen was born when I was 30, Becca was born when I was 32.


13. Where is the most fascinating place you’ve visited?


Mayan ruins fascinate me.

Altun Ha, Belize:





Chichen Itza, Mexico:







14. What is your favorite family story?

There are so many ... I'll tell just one.

May 17, 1998.  22 years ago today.  We went to my cousin's bris.  We had the chance to welcome the newest member of the family, we caught up with the goings-on of all the cousins, and we stuffed ourselves with bagels and lox and whitefish... typical family celebration. 

The party broke up late afternoon, and we had to drive from my cousin's house in Rockland County back to our home on Long Island.  Normally we'd drive through the Bronx, right past Yankee Stadium.  But my father said "The Yankees are playing this afternoon, we'll probably get caught in stadium traffic."

So we drove through Manhattan instead, down the FDR Drive...and got caught in a  major traffic jam because of the motorcade of then-Vice President Al Gore.  We had no idea he was in town.

And while we were sitting in traffic, we had a perfect view across the river.  We could see Yankee Stadium.  There was no traffic near the stadium at all.

Why?

Well...er...Wells....








Yes, My cousin's bris was the same day as David Wells' perfect game. Not a soul left the ballpark until the game was over.


15. What was your most memorable birthday?

I was 40 years old.  I took Jen and Becca to Walt Disney World, just the three of us.  We had my birthday dinner at the Crystal Palace with  Winnie the Pooh.

16. What was your favorite food as a child?


Spaghetti and meatballs.  I still love Italian food.

Comments

  1. Lake George is a lovely area. I went there on an RV trip with a friend's family when I was in Jr. High. I've always hoped to get back there again one day. And the pyramids in Mexico...I'm way jealous! Those are on my bucket list.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biggest regret..,we saw Chichen Itza as an excursion from a cruise, so we didn’t have enough time at the site before we had to head back to the ship.

      Delete
  2. Your mom does sound like an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the story of your name. And I really liked the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yeah, when we went to his bar mitzvah 13 years later, everyone remembered the bris because of Wells

      Delete
  5. Found the part about your name and why you weren't named Dora very interesting. Actually, the whole post was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of all the countries I have been to, Mexico isn't one of them. I can speak a little pigeon-Spanish too so I will have to head back across the pond one day.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those questions were quite the trip down memory lane. Good memories, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the story of your name. How great that you have been to the ancient ruins. Your mom does sound like my mom. I never appreciated her as much as I should have. Bagels and lox sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is pretty special.

      We can do cyber brunch, I’ll bring the bagels ...

      Delete
  9. I am loving these questions today and reading these great stories about everyone's families. I probably should have shared more. I wasn't sure how much people would want to read. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting...I didn't know there was a Dora in your family. I was name after two of my great grandmother.
    Didn't know about having a Jewish name. Maybe some time you could post of blog on the custom. I know other faith have you take a name.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday