another this and that

So ...Memorial Day weekend....

It rained on Saturday.  I had a lot of errands to run.  It felt so normal, driving my car as I ran my errands.  Until it didn't.  Making sure I put on my mask every time I got out of the car.  Standing on line, six feet apart, just to go into a store.  I'm not afraid of the virus, I was tested and have the antibodies, but still...

And most of my errands weren't even for me.  My sisters are so protective of my 87 year old mother andso terrified of the virus that they've barely left the house since March.  "Can you pick up a few things at Trader Joe's?  Can you go to the bakery?  Can you pick up mom's pills at the drugstore?"  Of course I can...

I was stopped at  a traffic light and could not help but notice the car next to me:



Drew says it's a Corvette, probably from 1957 or 1958.  Cool...

We watched a baseball game Saturday night.  Game Six of the 1986 World Series.  You know, where the Red Sox scored two runs in the top of the 10th inning, the Mets thought they were done, and then magic happened....






The ball rolled between Buckner's legs....I never get tired of that.


Sunday...well....what we should have been doing....we should have had a house full of people, with Drew cooking burgers on his brand new gas grill, the one he bought in February to replace the 15 year old grill that had clearly seen better days.

Instead I did laundry and other chores.  FaceTimed with my kids.

Watched Game 7 of the World Series, it felt good to revisit such a happy time.  I’m so used to Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez in the broadcast booth; I’d forgotten how good they looked in players’ uniforms.

Of course I went to the ticker tape parade.  My office was at 61 Broadway, the parade passed right in front of us.  I worked in lower Manhattan for much of my career.  I saw the Vietnam Vets in 1985, John Glenn in 1998, and several NY Yankees World Champion teams (1996, 1998 and 1999, but I couldn’t bear to go to the one in 2000) honored with a parade down the Canyon of Heroes.

Didn’t do much yesterday.  We had burgers and hot dogs for dinner, in honor of the barbecue that wasn’t.


Comments

  1. I once heard of a theory that the more ex-Cubs you had on your team, the greater the chance you'll lose the World Series. However, in that case both Buckner and Wilson (he was a farmhand with the Iowa Cubs) kind of canceled each other out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic of Shea Stadium...we had a few black cats in the clubhouse, just in case....

      Delete
  2. Good times. We just didn't know. My husband had to go to work early the next day and didn't stick around to the end of Game 6, so he missed Bill Buckner's not shining moment. I tease spouse to this day that if he had been awake, it wouldn't have happened. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday