Another this and that

We went to a birthday party Saturday night.  The party was for one of Drew’s coworkers, who is turning 40 this week.  All of the guests were 40 or younger...Drew and I are old enough to be their parents... I feel old ...

But the party was fun.  German restaurant, I had wiener schnitzel, spaetzle and red cabbage.  Yum.

The weather Sunday -- windy and rainy.  I think it was the tail end of a tropical storm.  three days later, the streets are still covered with wet leaves.

"Mom's taxi" was back in service Sunday night.  Or should I say, "Mom's Uber"?  Becca needed a ride from our house on Long Island to her apartment on the East Side.  We're in the car, listening to the radio, and a Britney Spears song comes on...and Becca is singing along, just like she used to. Sweet memories.

One of my weekend tasks?  I addressed 150 postcards to my neighbors, asking them to vote for my candidate for town council.  Early voting has already begun (that's something new here in New York), but most people will probably vote on Election Day.

I voted early!  My normal polling place is at an elementary school, but my early voting location was at the fire house.  I drive past the firehouse all the time, but I'd only been inside once, when the fire department floated a bond issue to build a new garage for their equipment.  So Monday morning, on my way to work, I stopped at the firehouse. I told the poll worker my name, he looked me up on his tablet, and had me sign in,  Then he gave me a receipt so that I'd get the correct ballot, the one for my election district.  Another poll worker printed the ballot and handed it to me.  I marked it appropriately, and fed it into the machine to be tallied.  Easy!

On Election Day, the ballots will be pre-printed, because everyone will go to their regular polling place, but otherwise, the process is the same.  I will miss signing my name in the big roll book, but anything that makes voting easier....

So you know that Broadway show tickets are outrageously expensive.   And one of the hottest tickets in town is for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. The issue with Harry Potter is that there are really two plays, you see part 1 and part 2 as a matinee and then an evening performance, or on two successive nights.  Becca was lucky enough to land some reasonably-priced tickets to see the show midweek  in early September.  But Jen....won the ticket lottery. 

Every Friday the show has a lottery, you win the chance to buy two sets of tickets for very little money.  Jen and her friend Sharon will be seeing Part 1 on Thursday night and Part 2 on Friday night.  Total cost per person:  $40.  Nice way to celebrate Halloween.

I'm wondering if I should enter the lottery.  I'd love to see that show, too.  My kids grew up reading the Harry Potter novels, and I fell in love with them, too.




Comments

  1. Show lottery... Congrats to Jen. That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your canidate makes it. I find it strange when I go and see a doctor and I am old enough to be there mother.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely enter the lottery! I went with a bunch of friends on Halloween last year. We did NOT win the lottery, in fact the one who organized the outing is very savvy and patient at getting tickets, if it had been me it probably wouldn't have happened and I might have had some explaining to do to our telecom folks as to why my phone ended up in a hundred little pieces.

    It's a great show though, we LOVED it!

    And my friend's birthday is on Halloween so that was just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday