Saturday 9

 

5-10-15-20 (25-30 Years of Love)

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9  questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions! 

Saturday 9: 5-10-15-20 (1970)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, The Presidents sing about a long married, very happy couple. Who is the longest married couple you know? Who is the happiest? Are they the same couple?

My parents were married for 56 years and they were the happiest couple I knew. 

2) The lyrics ask repeatedly: "Aren't we happy?" Are you feeling happy today? Why or why not?

I’ve got a lot on my plate these next few weeks and I’m feeling stressed right now, not happy.


3) This happy couple enjoys watching children at play. Is there a park, playground or schoolyard near you?

If I climbed over my backyard fence (not that I would, or even could) I’d be in a public park.  The park has baseball diamonds and a playground.  There’s an elementary school next door to the park.

4) This song reminds Crazy Sam of when she used to recite the multiplication tables. Think back to your school days. Was math one of your favorite subjects?

Absolutely not.

5) The Presidents seems like a good name for a band formed in Washington DC. What would be an appropriate name for a band from your hometown?

The Lunatic Drivers (Who Own The Road)

6) DC trivia: The street names are letters, but J was skipped. That's because in the 1700s, the way many wrote their alphabet, "J" looked like "I" and so "J" was passed over to avoid confusion. Tell us something we may not know about your hometown (or state).

When Billy Joel sings Scenes From An Italian Restaurant  there’s a line, “Do you remember those days hanging out at the Village Green?”

The Village Green is a real place.  Billy grew up in Hicksville, NY; Billy’s home was on the border of Hicksville and Levittown.  Billy sometimes says he grew up in Levittown, because his house was built by Levitt & Sons as part of a post-World War II planned community,   The Levitt communities included public swimming pools and small shopping centers.  One such shopping center/pool complex was  Village Green West, and it was a three minute walk from Billy’s home.

It’s a five minute walk from my house to Village Green West.


7) In 1970, when this song was on the Billboard chart, The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiered on CBS. The theme song said Mary could "turn the world on with her smile," yet in real life, MTM was self-conscious about her "wide mouth." Are you comfortable looking at photos of yourself?  

I’m ok with really old photos from when I was in my 20’s and 30’s, but more recent ones … well, I’ve lost a lot of weight and I don’t like to look at photos of myself when I was heavier. 

8) Also in 1970, Dinah Shore became one of the first women to host her own national daytime talk show. Today, Kelly Clarkson, Drew Barrymore, Tamron Hall, Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Ripa all have their own shows, and The Talk and The View are both hosted by women. Who is your favorite talk show host?

I don’t really have a favorite.  Right now the only talk show I’ve been watching is Bill Maher.  If I happen to have the tv on in the afternoon I’ll watch Kelly Clarkson.

9) Random question -- Would you rather have a job that has you on your feet all day, or one that has you parked in a chair?

I spend most of my work day in a chair and that’s fine with me. 



Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 

 

Comments

  1. That was interesting about Billy Joel. Good that you like your sit down job. I can't sit very long now days. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Scenes from an Italian Restaurant better now, knowing it's got elements of real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 {{HUGS}}
    #4 I seem to be the olny 9er who like math.
    #5 Having driven on the LIE I know what you mean. (I took the ferry to Port Jefferson and when I got off the ferry the GPS had me in the middle of Long Island Sound with a message saying “Take the next legal U-turn.”)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father's home is similarly situated to yours. On Saturdays we can hear the whistles from the soccer games at the park. All you need is a door in the back fence, and you could be in the park any time you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to enjoy Bill Maher but he started wearing on me so I quit watching. He was making too many "jokes" and comments about obesity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday