Another this and that

 Happy Long Island Marathon weekend!  The race is happening today, but the festivities started Friday night.  We went over to Eisenhower Park Friday night to check out the festivities.  They had a stage set up for local bands, a bounce house and games for the kids, and a food truck festival.  We ran into friends while exploring.  Nice evening.

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Drew and I are going out for Mexican food tonight.  We’re trying a new place tonight, a restaurant that Jen recommended.  Their menu is very gluten sensitive, most of their dishes are either gluten free or can be adjusted.  

But first, I’ll be spending the afternoon at a food expo, an event called Wicked Gluten Free.  Free samples and products, all gluten free.  I want to explore new products.  Time to stock the pantry.

Sigh.  I’m glad I’ve got options, but I hate having to think about food this way.

If you’ve ever worked for a large corporation you know that many companies have programs where they donate to charity and encourage their employees to donate as well.  My employer has decided to participate in something called “Charity Miles”.  Employees were asked to download the Charity Miles app, which tracks the miles each employee walks, runs or bikes.  The company pledged to pay $.40 for each mile logged in the app.  I do a lot of walking anyhow, so why not make it “count “?  I connected the app to my Fitbit, and I’ve already logged about 10 miles.  

Lately I’ve been walking in the  neighborhood.  Eisenhower Park is becoming difficult because they’re building the cricket stadium, and I haven’t felt motivated to drive down to the beach.  But I think I’m going to get a beach pass for the summer … no, not to Jones Beach, but to a smaller, less crowded beach nearby.  I can get a free pass to Tobay Beach because I drive a Clean Air Vehicle  — another reason to love my little Prius C.

I’m also going to get a pass for the community pool.  As I mentioned, I live in a Levitt house.  That means my house was part of a planned community that included shopping centers and community pools.  Use of the pools are restricted to those of us living in Levitt houses.  Not to worry, though, if you don’t qualify for the Levitt pools —  there are public pools available nearby. 

Yeah, it looks like my summer is starting to take shape.




Comments

  1. Cricket stadium? You have enough cricket players there to warrant a stadium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a temporary stadium, we’re hosting professional cricket matches in June. Part of the World Cup. There are a significant number of cricket fans in the NYC/Long Island area, and we’re expecting a lot of tourists.

      Delete
  2. When my kids were growing up we rented a house within walking distance of the neighborhood's community pool. The landlords were not happy that they were not told there were annual dues, although it must have been in their paperwork when they bought the house (right before we moved in). We used that pool a lot, and I liked when my kids could pass the test to go alone! It had a lifeguard and a "snack shack." Adults got their own 15 minutes each hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Community pools are so cool. Growing up, we didn't have such things. Although, I had two neighbors with pools, so I got to partake sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday