Saturday 9

 

Rocket Man


Welcome to Saturday: 9
. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

Saturday 9: Rocket Man (1972)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Elton John tells us he's taking off for outerspace at 9:00 AM. What will you be doing at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning?

I’m writing this on Friday.  Come Saturday morning I will be getting ready to go out to a brunch arranged by my daughter Becca in honor of her upcoming wedding (she’s getting married in July).  It’s a little get-together for the bridesmaids, the mothers and the aunts.  Should be fun.
 
2) He sings that even though he uses it for his astronaut job, he doesn't understand science. Was science one of your better classes in school? 

Not really.  I mean, I earned decent grades in science, but science classes weren’t my favorite.  
 
3) Lyricist Bernie Taupin recalls writing the first verse of "Rocket Man" while stuck in traffic as he tried to make his way to his parents' home. Have you recently been stuck in traffic? If yes, where were you headed?

Are you kidding?  I live on Long Island, where we joke that the Long Island Expressway is the world’s longest parking lot.  

Most recent?  I was at Becca’s house in Manhattan.  She lives on East 29th Street, so the easiest way to get home is through the Midtown Tunnel.  Except when they’ve blocked off one lane of the tunnel and traffic on 34th Street is backed up for blocks.  I do not enjoy driving in Manhattan.

4) Thinking of cars ... Nigel Olsson, who plays drums and sings back-up on "Rocket Man," is a self-proclaimed "race car fanatic." What hobby are you passionate about?

Baseball.  I am a fan.  We watch a lot of Mets games on TV and try to make it to Citi Field at least once every season.  And we also follow a minor league team, the Long Island Ducks; we attend about 7-8 Ducks games every year.

5) Davey Johnstone, who plays guitar on "Rocket Man," recently posted on Facebook that he was thrilled to meet Joni Mitchell. Are you on Facebook? Instagram? Twitter? Pinterest? Tik Tok?

All of the above.  Though I spend most of my time on Facebook and Instagram.  Too much of my time …

6) Elton John once played charades with Bob Dylan. But only once. Elton laughingly says he can't get over how "hopeless" Dylan was at the game. What's the last game you played? Did you win?

You mean, other than video/computer games, right?  Games with a human opponent.  It’s been awhile.  I have a friend who used to host “game nights” at her house, but she moved to Florida. 
 
7) In 1972, when this song was popular, Winnie the Pooh was on the cover the Sears Christmas Wish Book. That year, kids asked Santa for plush Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore. Did you have many plush toys as a child? If yes, do you still have any of them?

Let me introduce you to a few of my “friends”



 
8) Also in 1972, TV cowboy Dan Blocker died. He played the middle brother, "Hoss," on Bonanza. Do you enjoy watching westerns?

I used to watch Bonanza reruns, and I do like the occasional Western.

9) Random question: What inspires you?

So many different ways to answer that question!

I’ll choose just one.  Any time I get a chance to view open water — the ocean,  the Sound, the bay, even a river, I feel a sense of wonder.






 

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
 
 

Comments

  1. I' ve never driven to or in Manhattan (we actually prefer Boston!!) but we took the girls to a Yankees game so my husband (We are Red Sox fans because.....he's a direct descendent of the Mayflower and ......let's just say although I'm from NY and we live in the Cap Region we are all things BOSTON!) could say he'd been to yankee stadium (2008) we drove from where we were staying in NJ to the bronx and said NEVER AGAIN!! hahahah I have loved the City though the few times I've gone to do all the touristy things.

    COngrats to your daughter on her up coming wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Cub fan and I enjoyed it when our two teams played last week, even that heartbreaking extra inning loss.
    In Chicago I've learned to circumvent traffic jams (for the most part) with public transportation. You seem like a savvy New Yorker, so I assume that's not as easy an option out there.
    Your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! The brunch sounds like fun. All the build up to the wedding is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stuffed animals are adorable! Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuck in traffic. I would have to drive over an hour to find that sort of traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed all your pictures. I bet you are excited about the wedding. I have been to NY once and drove under Hudson by way of the Lincoln tunnel. We went on tour of the river and went under 3 or 4 bridges and close to the Statue of Liberty. It was a great experience! I also liked going to the Top of the Rock to see the amazing view. It was a short trip before getting on a cruise ship. I like the water to and being on the open sea is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually played cards with my dad yesterday... (We often do that on Saturdays.)

    What made me laugh was the question about being unfamiliar with the song. They still play this song in heavy rotation on the radio stations here. Well, ones that don't play contemporary hits. But I know I've heard it a couple times just this last week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday