I don't get it

 I was 15 when my parents decided to install a pool in our back yard.  And I very quickly learned that owning a pool wasn't all fun and games, that there was a lot of work involved in maintaining a pool.  My sister used to joke about having a "PhD in pool chemistry", because she took on the job of balancing the chlorine, algicide, etc. that were needed to keep the pool water sparkling clean.

I live in a 2nd floor apartment of a two family home, and my kitchen window looks directly into my next door neighbor's yard. Back in 
April I watched my neighbor build an above-ground pool, and I thought "his kids are going to have a great summer."  

He did all the work himself,  clearing a space, meticulously measuring and assembling the component parts. The pool looked fantastic.

I think they used the pool once.

Last week I noticed that the pool was starting to look a little green. That's an algae problem.   It usually happens if we get hot weather and/or a lot of rain. If it were my pool I'd be running out to buy some "shock".  

Over the last few days the pool has gotten greener...and greener...and greener...it's starting to look like a swamp....

Why build it if you're not going to maintain it?


Comments

  1. Maybe no one told your neighbor how much work it was? Or, as a former caregiver, I always wonder if someone suddenly is providing eldercare or is trying to recover from a bad case of COVID and doesn't have the energy. Anyway, it's too bad that the pool is turning into a neighborhood eyesore. I lucked out in a way - I had friends who educated me about how much work a pool is before I ever decided to make the investment. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps they don't know what to do? My father worked for a pool supply store in the '90s. Shortly thereafter, he moved into a house with a pool. (Well, maybe not "shortly" thereafter. He had many jobs.) So, he knows how to keep that pool looking clean. It is a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I known a few people who had pools and found they were a lot work.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday