Toxic Water

My blogger friend Alana has written an excellent piece about the crisis in Flint, Michigan.

Although those who know me understand I am a political junkie and wear my heart on my sleeve, I seldom talk politics in this blog.

But if you know me, you also know that I have had a long and varied career in the insurance industry.  Including 12 years handling environmental claims, paying for cleanup of toxic sites, doing battle with the EPA over allocations among potentially responsible parties, defending litigation involving landfills, leaking pipelines, underground storage tanks, industrial waste...you get the picture.

Anyone with even tangential involvement in the world of environmental claims and remediation is very aware of the Hudson River cleanup, how GE, among others, was called to account for decades of pollution.  Anyone with involvement in the industry is very aware of the EPA's current cause celebre, the remediation of the Passaic River, in the center of northern New Jersey's industrial complex.

So how could anyone imagine that the Flint River, in the heart of the American automotive industry, could be a safe source of drinking water?  How could something like this happen in America in the 21st century?


This is an outrage that should go beyond partisan politics, an outrage that should be shared by all Americans.

Unfortunately, the voices I am hearing today all seem to come from the left.

Where are the Republicans, why aren't they raising this issue?  Why aren't they addressing this issue? 

Comments

  1. Amen to your question. This should go WAY beyond partisan politics, and it's not. Sad. And, thank you for the shoutout. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday