Saturday 9 When Love Goes Wrong, Nothing Goes Right

When Love Goes Wrong, Nothing Goes Right

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: When Love Goes Wrong (Nothing Goes Right) 1953

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.






1) This is from the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Have you seen it?

Of course!

2) The lyrics tell us that, when love goes wrong, "a match won't light." When did you most recently light a match?

Last time I lit a match I used it to light a candle.  Or rather, candles.  It was during Chanuka.

3) The duet is performed at a French sidewalk cafe, where Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe are (literally) sharing a cup of coffee. With whom did you most recently have coffee?

Drew made breakfast Sunday morning.  I drank coffee, he drank tea.

4) The tune was written by prolific composer Hoagy Carmichael. He was influenced by his mother, who earned extra money for the family playing piano during silent movies. Who in your life influenced your career choices?

My parents (both teachers) encouraged me to go to college, choose a career.  

My 10th grade Social Studies teacher Mr. S had a project for the class.  We were to stage a mock trial of Napoleon Bonaparte for crimes against the people of France.  Each student would have a role in the trial.  I was appointed to be one of Napoleon's lawyers.  We won.  The rest, as they say, is history.



5) Jane and Marilyn shared something beyond movie stardom. They were both married to Hall of Famers. Marilyn Monroe was married to Joe DiMaggio, who was inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame in 1955. Jane was married to quarterback Bob Waterfield, inducted into the football Hall of Fame in 1965. Which sport would you rather watch: baseball or football?

Anyone who has been reading this blog for any length of time can answer that question.

  




6) Jane and Bob Waterfield were high school sweethearts at Van Nuys High. The Southern California school was used as a set for the 1982 movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Tell us something about your high school.

Our school had a planetarium.  When I was in elementary school, our teachers would take us up to the high school for astronomy lessons in the planetarium.  I never set foot inside the planetarium in junior high or high school. But I still like to star gaze.


7) Marilyn and Joe DiMaggio met on a blind date at a Hollywood restaurant called Villa Nova. Have you ever arranged a blind date? If so, did the couple hit it off and end up dating?

I've gone on blind dates but have never arranged for anyone else go go on a blind date.

8) In 1953, when Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was released, a tornado did severe damage to Waco, TX. Tell us about a major weather event that you endured (tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard, heat wave, etc.).

Here's the post I wrote during Superstorm Sandy  NYC and Long Island got battered.  We were lucky, we didn't have long lasting damage, but a friend of mine lost her house and almost  everything she owned.

9) Random question: You see a filthy puddle. Floating on top are cigarette butts, a leaf, and a $1 bill. Would you bend over and rescue the dollar?

$1, probably not.  $10?  Maybe.  After all, I always have Purell in my bag these days.




Comments

  1. I love how your passionate response to a class project helped set the stage for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers can inspire. Mr. S was one of the best. I ran into him when my older daughter was in high school, and told him how my life turned out. He was happy to hear he had inspired me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, a planetarium!!! I would have been in heaven!!! That is super cool and very unique.
    Meet The Mets cracks me up. They were playing it here and talking about it one year, I cannot remember why. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. If I’m going to dive into the muck, it’s got to be worth the effort

      Delete
  4. I’ve noticed nearly all the teachers I’ve read about were inspired or encouraged by their family.. I would not encourage a child of mine now to go into teaching. It has changed so much, and not for the better in mho. sad to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. My daughter Jen thought she wanted to be a teacher, until she worked in a school as a teaching assistant. Now she is a civilian employee of the police department

      Delete
  5. Purell. Ha. I liked that answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My school had a planetarium, too. I took Earth & Space Science in 7th grade and Astronomy my senior year. I loved it and like you, I still spend a lot of time looking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some time I have to use match on one of my gas burner on stove

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. That was a good one. My brother was also influenced by a teacher in his choice of career. He ended up in a video class (by accident sort of) and he ended up going into TV.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A