A weird Rosh HaShanah

 Normally Rosh HaShanah means a big dinner at my mom’s house, a big dinner at Drew’s house.  It means chicken soup with matzo balls, gefilte fish, and either brisket or roast turkey.  A round challah to symbolize the circle of life,  apples dipped in honey for a sweet new year.


Not in the age of Covid.


This year Drew and I celebrated alone.  This year the brisket and chicken soup came from the deli.


This year, instead of walking to the synagogue and praying with 1500 friends and neighbors, I watched services on YouTube.   


(The synagogue is on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, the Rabbi’s sermon was unabashedly political, all about social justice and activism.  I loved it.)


And i listened to the words of the service, so familiar.


And I cried. 

Comments

  1. I can understand why .... I think we are all raw and sore ... and you have a beautiful tradition to miss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so many beautiful traditions are being missed all over the country. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. This is quite a change for you. For me it was much easier as I am not observant, and my (Jewish) family is over 150 miles away. Traditions do matter. We made do. My husband roasted a chicken with honey glaze. I made apple honey cake from scratch. And then I got the news about RGB and...yes, it's going to be hard. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it was better than Passover, when Drew was so sick. But yeah, RBG kind of out a damper on things.

      Delete
  3. Our younger daughter came today for a brief porch visit. The subject of Thanksgiving came up. Thanksgiving is at her house, Christmas at the older daughter's house, Easter is at ours. But not this year. Will we ever meet again for those holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...thanks for the information on the Jewish tradition of a person who dies on Rosh Hashanah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps we'll tell of these holidays in years to come, and we'll appreciate being together more, for we'll know that it is not a given that we can do the holiday thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A