A patriotic Saturday 9

You're a Grand, Old Flag

You're a Grand, Old Flag

Unfamiliar with James Cagney's 1942 version of this song? Hear it here.


1) The flag we currently fly, with 50 stars and 13 stripes, was designed by a high school student. When Alaska and Hawaii were added, President Eisenhower invited Americans to submit designs for how best to incorporate the two new states. Ike chose 17-year-old Robert G. Heft's submission from more than 1500 entries. Tell us about a contest you entered and won. (Or really hoped to win.) 

I don't think I've ever won a contest based on skill or ability.  I've won prizes, though, in random contests/drawings.  I have a pair of gold earrings that I won at an American Cancer Society event.  And I won tickets to see Jimmy Buffett in concert at Madison Square Garden -- floor seats.

2) The government also has another of Mr. Heft's designs waiting: one that incorporates a 51st star if another state is added. When you were in school, did you memorize the states and their capitals?

There was actually a song I learned, naming all 50 states in alphabetical order.

3) Six American flags have been planted on the surface of the moon. Those are undoubtedly the flags farthest from you this morning. Where is an American flag flying near you today?

There's a public school about three blocks from here, I know there's a flag at the school.  And I think ther may be a few flags scattered throughout the neighborhood.

4) This version of the song was performed by James Cagney in the 1942 classic, Yankee Doodle Dandy. Have you ever seen it?

Of course.


Did you know Donny Osmond toured in a revival of Little Johnny Jones, playing the Cagney role?  It played one performance on Broadway in 1982.  




5) In that film, Cagney portrayed George M. Cohan, the composer of this week's song. In 1940, Cohan was honored by with a Congressional Gold Medal. In presenting him with the award, President Roosevelt specifically thanked Cohan for "You're a Grand Old Flag," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and "Over There." What's your favorite patriotic song?





6) Though a performer his entire life, Cohan disliked listening to recordings of his own voice. How about you? Do you like your singing and/or speaking voice?

Part of my job includes making presentations to others.  I've had to take a few classes on public speaking.  Watching myself on video is painful.  I'm too critical of my performance.

7) James Cagney won the Oscar for Best Actor his performance as George M. Cohan. Also nominated that year was Gary Cooper, who portrayed Lou Gehrig in Pride of the Yankees. Tell us about another movie about a great American.




8) As a teen, Cagney juggled high school with a variety of jobs, including bell hop and delivery boy, and gave all his earnings to his family. Looking back, Cagney was grateful that he had to begin work early, saying, "I feel sorry for the kid who has too cushy a time of it. Suddenly he has to come face-to-face with the realities of life without his mama and papa to do his thinking for him." Do you agree? 

My parents didn't expect me or my sisters to work during high school (except in the summer) and I didn't expect my children to work either.  And I think we all turned out ok.  


I should add, though, that the expectation was  that we'd work hard at academic success and make something of our lives. 

9) Cagney had a rebellious streak. His boss, studio head Jack Warner, nicknamed Cagney, "The Professional Againster." Cagney joked that he enjoyed earning the title. What about you? Are you rebellious?

I always followed the rules when I was younger.  I had tremendous respect for "the law", which probably influenced my career choice.  As I get older I find I am starting to develop a rebellious streak.



Comments

  1. I bet that Jimmy Buffett concert was a delight.

    David Cassidy toured in Little Johnny Jones in the early 1980s, too. Now if only Bobby Sherman had done the show, too, it would have been a 16 magazine trifecta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I heard Cassidy did that show. I saw him in Blood Brothers, with Sean Cassidy and Petulant Clark. Great show.

      And Bobby Sherman ...sigh ...

      Delete
  2. My husband assures me we saw Lincoln, but I do not remember it. It looks fantastic. I just need to watch it again. Loved your answers! Have a great 4th of July!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking of great films--Lincoln is another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I liked was the political dealing. Not sugarcoated at all.

      Delete
  4. That Neil Diamond song is great. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems several of us thought about the movie "Lincoln." A great big Yes! to the Neil Diamond song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I want to see Lincoln. We didn't make our kids work either bt they all got part time jobs on their own.mHappy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did enjoy that movie. Whenever I see that Neil Diamond song, I see him in his blue sequin shirt and the music at highest volume. That's always how it goes when my mom puts it on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a good movie. My parents wouldn't let me work either except for baby sitting in the summer. That money bought school clothes. After I got out of school, I worked and that's when I bought my car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that one about Donny! And Neil Diamond...how could I forget him? I would be right there with Howard and Amy in the Neilmobile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned "You're a Grand Old Flag" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy" at sleepaway camp. I'm old enough to have owned a 48 star flag; I remember both Alaska and Hawaii joining the Union. And no, I didn't know that about Donny Osmond. No telling now how much of a chance DC has of becoming the 51st state. Who would have thought...Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't meant anyone who likes there voice, including my self and I make you tube videos every so often.
    I won a few ribbons for items I put in our local fair, but I mainly do it to be part of community. Not trying to brag but I did draw the best clown in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday