Saturday 9: Bye, Bye Blackbird

It's time for the Saturday 9



Saturday 9: Bye, Bye Blackbird (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Julie London complains about all the "hard luck stories" people are handing her. Did you more recently listen to someone else's problems, or share your own?


There are certain professions that, when your friends find out what you do for a living, you will be asked for your professional advice.  I am in one of those professions.  I don't mind helping occasionally -- I'll gladly go to traffic court to plea bargain your speeding ticket down to an equipment violation, but you have to take me out to lunch afterwards.


2) She promises to arrive "late tonight." What time do you think is too late to drop in on someone?


I'm reluctant to ring anyone's doorbell after 7 PM unless I know them very, very well.


3) Julie's nickname was "The Liberty Girl" because she was Liberty Records' first successful artist. The second was singer-songwriter David Seville, who had a couple novelty hits as "The Chipmunks." There were three singing chipmunks. Without looking it up, can you name them?


Alvin, Simon and Theodore, of course.  I can hear Dave yelling "Alvin" in my head....


Do you know he also recorded "The Witch Doctor"?  



I told the witch doctor
I was in love with you
I told the witch doctor
I was in love with you
And then the witch doctor
He told me what to do
He said that
Ooo eee, Ooo ah ah, ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Ooo eee, Ooo ah ah, ting tang
Walla walla bing bang...
Ooo eee, Ooo ah ah, ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Ooo eee, Ooo ah ah, ting tang
Walla walla bing bang

4) Julie's love of music was shared by her mother.When Julie was a little girl, mother and daughter would listen to Billie Holiday records together. What recordings did you enjoy when you were very young?


Well, let's see.  When I was very young....There was the 45 of "It's A Small World" that I got at the 1964 World's Fair.   There was the soundtrack of Mary Poppins, the very first movie I'd ever seen in a movie theater..  And then there was this:


Walt Disney's Story Of Sleeping Beauty (Vinyl, LP) album cover


Mary Martin read the story of Sleeping Beauty, and she sang the songs from the Disney movie.  I loved it.

The Monkees TV show debuted when I was six years old.  My parents bought the first four albums for my sister and me.  My first exposure to rock music.


My parents liked Broadway show tunes.  I like Broadway, too.  So do my daughters.

5) She began modeling when she 17. Julie was working as an elevator operator when a talent agent saw her and decided she would photograph well. With the advent of push-button elevators, elevator operator is a job that doesn't exist anymore. Can you think of another job that was once common but now is rare (or non-existent)?

Well, not exactly rare, but a lot less common than they used to be:  bank tellers.  


When my now-adult daughter was a college freshman, she called home in a panic.  Her bank had called to tell her that someone had tried to fraudulently use her debit card.  The bank  cancelled the card, and would mail her a new one.  She'd receive it in about a week. She was in a panic:  how would she get cash  without her debit card?  Poor child had no idea she could go into the bank and give a withdrawal slip to a bank teller...

6) Julie recorded more than 30 albums and was named "most popular female vocalist" by Billboard magazine in 1956. If you could see any entertainer -- male or female -- in concert, who would you choose?


I am lucky, I get to see a lot of concerts.  So I'll talk about the concert I wish I'd seen.  Simon and Garfunkel did a free concert in Central Park in 1981.  A bunch of my friends went to the concert.  I stayed home.  I was recovering from mono, and my doctor allowed me to return to school but had given me strict instructions -- I could go to school, I could go to the library and study, but I couldn't go to parties or concerts or whatever.  to this day I wish I hadn't been so conscientious about following his instructions.


7) She appeared in Westerns on both TV and in the movies. Have you ever dreamed of being a cowboy/cowgirl?


When I was a little girl I went to day camp.  The camp owned horses, and all of the children  would get to ride -- meaning, a groom would put you on the horse's back, and the groom would lead the horse around. It really fueled my cowgirl fantasies.


8) For six seasons, Julie played Dixie McCall R.N. on the show Emergency! The series was about Los Angeles paramedics and firefighters. Do you often hear sirens in your neighborhood?


Drew lives 3 blocks from the firehouse, so we hear sirens all the time.  At my house, not so much.


9) Random question: You're pulled over for speeding. Do you think you'd have an easier time talking your way out of it if the officer was a man ... or a woman?


Probably the man.  but more likely, I'm going to find myself in traffic court trying to plea bargain down to a non-moving violation....






Comments

  1. (I am going to make a joke, grin--waitttt for it...)"Lunch? Is that? Cheap date." Just joking of course, if I ever get a ticket in NYC, I'll look for you, lol.

    P.S. Thank you for leaving your comments yesterday, and your right, I pretty much knew what you would say, smiles...and its all good, my friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED THE WITCH DOCTOR SONG! Thank you for reminding me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I've got The Witch Doctor playing in my head. Fun!!! Hey, I was there at the World's Fair, too. The original ear-worm, that song. Singing along with Broadway scores is great fun; even a chance to vent after a rough day. ("Can You Hear the People Sing, Singing a Song of Angry Men ….")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Les Miz 8 or 9 times. Had a friend who worked for Cameron Macintosh and he’d give us free tickets...

      Delete
  4. I had the Puff the Magic Dragon 45 record also that I listened to. I also had some stories like you mentioned.
    I love The Witch Doctor song! I did not realize that was the same person! Thanks for sharing! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Witch Doctor song a lot better than the Chipmunks. Gee, you are a cheap traffic court date. ;) Giggling at the story about your daughter. I am always surprised by some of the things my daughter has no clue about. These were fun questions and I enjoyed your answers. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my daughter didn’t know that an ATM was an Automated TELLER Machine ....

      Delete
  6. How do you get to see a lot of concerts? I am a theater critic, so I get to see a lot of plays, but never get to concerts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say “a lot” I mean 4 or 5 in a year, and it’s mostly oldies concerts these days.

      We have tickets for Billy Joel at MSG in May and Rod Stewart and Cheap Trick in August at Jones Beach. Trying to decide if we want to see the annual “Happy Together” oldies tour in June. And there are a few more acts coming to Jones Beach that sound good.

      Delete
  7. Julie London was GORGEOUS, and what a voice she had. Her album covers were like pin-up art, which really wasn't necessary. Her version of "Cry Me A River," with Barney Kessel on guitar and Ray Leatherwood on bass, is a classic. She was married to Jack Webb for a while, and later married Bobby Troup, leader of her backup band. And yes, she and Bobby were in "Emergency!" together, a show that was produced by Jack Webb...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rode a horse once when I was a kid. Hated it. I've never done it since.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you realize there is a 12 word sentence you can speak to your partner... that will trigger deep emotions of love and instinctual appeal for you buried inside his chest?

    Because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's instinct to love, treasure and care for you with his entire heart...

    12 Words Will Trigger A Man's Love Response

    This instinct is so hardwired into a man's mind that it will drive him to try harder than ever before to love and admire you.

    Matter-of-fact, fueling this dominant instinct is so essential to achieving the best ever relationship with your man that the instance you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You will soon find him open his soul and mind for you in such a way he's never expressed before and he'll distinguish you as the only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly fascinated him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday