Goodbye March 2020

And good riddance.

So what has everyone been doing with their time?

I went to the Renaissance Faire!  No, really.  Of course, I should point out that it was a digital faire.  Seems there's a group on Facebook....a number of performers who should be entertaining crowds at faires all over the country found themselves streaming their performances.  Some of the acts were familiar to me, I'd seen them at the New York Ren Faire -- we go every summer.  It was wonderful to see the rats and cats of Cirque du Sewer.  Other acts were new to me, but very enjoyable.  And they all set up Paypal and Venmo accounts as a virtual tip bucket.  Of course I contributed.  Huzzah!

Here's Cirque du Sewer's audition for America's Got Talent:





Rats and cats!


I also went to a Monkees concert.  You know I'm a big fan.  In March of last year, Drew and I saw The Monkees Present: The Mike and Micky Show when the tour hit the Beacon Theater in NYC.  Well, I was fooling around on YouTube, and found an interesting video. Someone had recorded the entire concert when the tour played Arizona in 2018.   Watching the video brought back such good memories.


Here's a performance from that tour:






And I went to a baseball game.   I went to Shea Stadium to see the NY Mets play the Boston Red Sox in Game 6 of the World Series.  Yes, through the magic of YouTube I was transported back to October 25, 1986.    Mookie Wilson, Ray Knight, Bobby Ojeda, Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Lenny Dystra, Wally Backman, Ron Darling, Sid Fernandez, Doc Gooden, Howard Johnson, Lee Mazzilli, Rafael Santana. Kevin Mitchell, Darryl Strawberry, and managed by Davy Johnson....my guys.  And the BoSox?  Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, and Bill Buckner.   

The Red Sox led the series 3-2, and were poised to win their first World Series title in 68 years.  They scored twice in the top of the 10th inning, and the champagne was cooling in the visiting team locker room.  The mood at Shea was grim.

In the bottom of the 10th....

Wally Backman flied out.  Keith Hernandez flied out.  It seemed the game was over.

And then....

Gary Carter singled to left.  Kevin Mitchell singled.  Ray Knight singled, Carter scored, Mitchell to third.  

Mookie Wilson came to bat.  

Mitchell scored on a wild pitch, Knight to second.  

And then, with a 3-2 count, Wilson hit a blooper up the first base line.

The ball went through Bill Buckner's legs.

Knight scored, and the Mets won!

Magic.



Let's relive that final at-bat:




You know the rest. The Mets won  Game 7 ....


Jesse Orasco and Gary Carter...







And another magic moment at Shea...this one on October 19. 1986 ...Game Two ...







Maybe I'll get to the ballpark for real this summer.  Maybe I’ll see a concert.  Maybe I'll get to the Faire.  But for now...find the joy where you can.




Comments

  1. Wish I were more tech-savvy when I see all that you are able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse Orosco had a hell of a career, didn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he did.

      I’d almost forgotten that Buddy Harrelson was a coach on the ‘86 team. I see Harrelson at Long Island Ducks games, he is one of the team’s owners. He has Alzheimer’s...

      Delete
  3. It's nice there's so much online. As for Ren Faires, did you ever see the show American Princess? I think it was on Lifetime. It was about a performer at a Ren Faire. Quite fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can still travel the word via the net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday