Coronavirus

So early Wednesday Becca flew from Paris to Barcelona.  The plan was to stay through Sunday. And Drew sent me a text message:  "Spain just closed all its schools.  Catalan Province is 'ground zero' for Spain's coronavirus outbreak, 156 cases."  I wanted to call her, tell her to come home.  But she’s an adult ...

And then ...

Last night the current occupant of the White House announced that he’s suspending all flights from Europe (except the UK), starting Friday.

So now there is a very real possibility that my daughter will be stranded in Europe.

Forgive me while I freak out.

I don't think my mother is going out of the house for awhile.  She is 87 and has several underlying conditions that put her at an increased risk.

All anyone can talk about lately is the virus and its consequences.  My Facebook feed is full of songs that I can sing to make sure I wash my hands for a full 20 seconds.

I look out my office window at the port for cruise ships...and I do not feel the urge to book a cruise.  That's sad; I love sailing, but I cannot imagine being quarantined on a cruise ship...







Yeah, I try not to get political on the blog, but right now I cannot help it... worldwide pandemic and all he thinks about is re-election ... I am beyond livid.  I have disagreed with the policies and politics of many Presidents, but I have never disrespected the man in the Oval Office.  Until now.

Yeah, I’m freaking out now.  



Comments

  1. I understand your freakout. Our UC system here in CA are going online. You can't find hand sanitizer anywhere. The virus does not care about politics or famous people. Tom Hanks and his wife now have the virus.I think it is time to bring all the important people back that understand how viruses work. I think that it is really sad how we are a great nation and yet so behind in testing. This goes beyond politics. In 1968 I got the Hong Kong flu and I was so sick. I missed 2 weeks of school and my parents missed work. I don't know how I got it but I was confined to my room because our doctor said the hospitals were full, probably with the elderly. Now I am in that category. I will be praying for you daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. And please don't come to my blog and tell me what to do. I believe in free expression and the free exchange of ideas, if you want to tell me why you think Trump isn't a moron I will be glad to listen.

      Delete
  3. I just want you to know...I was thinking about you last night and your daughter...I wondered how she was going to get home--can she get home? Is she safe? So many questions and I want you to know, no matter our differences on this matter, I am keeping in prayer. I was telling my husband about you and your daughter...we are keeping in prayer...I can only imagine, Robin...sending you big cyber hugs.

    P.S. 1/2 true about the pandemic team (https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/feb/28/michael-bloomberg/did-donald-trump-fire-pandemic-officials-defund-cd). Now is not the time to make it political (on all sides/ Republican/Dem/Media). I just want to bring everyone in a room and start yelling "KNOCK IT OFF!!! ARE YOU PEOPLE THAT SELFISH? STUPID? ALL THE ABOVE? THIS IS NOT WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT TO SEE OR HEAR! PEOPLE ARE SCARED AND WORRIED AND ALL THIS NONSENSE HAS TO STOP!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a worldwide problem, but our fearless leader is making it worse, not better,

      Delete
    2. I read your fact check, and it seems to support what I said.

      Delete
  4. I never thought I’d say I miss George W. Bush...but for all his faults, he got us through 9/11 with grace and dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary times. I hope Becca is able to make it back safely.

    Today's school rumor: someone tested positive for the virus who went to a school event. Countdown to bedlam in 5, 4, 3, 2...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A