Political post



You know two of the folks in this photo — I’m on the left and Drew is on the right.

The man in the middle is Representative  Tom Suozzi.  I live in his Congressional District.

The photo was taken on Sunday at a Suozzi fundraiser.

Also present was Representative Kathleen Rice, also of Long Island.













The event was billed as “Women for Suozzi”, and emphasized his support for women’s rights and women’s causes.  Rice told us that her political career began when Suozzi encouraged her to run for office.  She ran for Nassau County District Attorney and beat an incumbent who’d been in office for 30 years.


I’ll spare you the photos of the local politicos.  But there was one speaker ...

Linda Beigel Schulman.










That name might ring a bell.

No?  Let me tell you, then.

Her son was named Scott Beigel.  

Beigel died at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida on February 14, 2018. He was a teacher.  He was a hero.  And his mother has dedicated her life to lobbying for sensible gun control.

I had the honor of hearing this courageous woman speak before, at a synagogue in October 2018 after 12 people were murdered in the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh.  I wrote about it here.


Beigel graduated from the same high school I attended.  His family belongs to “the other” synagogue in our community.  Schulman still lives here.  Maybe that’s why I identify with her so closely.  I cannot imagine her pain, but I admire her courage.

Sensible gun control.  Responsible gun ownership.  What’s so hard about that?



Comments

  1. Yes, agree...however, (heyyyyyyyyyyy, wait a minute, did you just do a political post, grin) I am not for anyone taking my weapons, period. I am fingerprinted and background checked through the FBI (truth) and went through a psych eval, and I attend classes when needed and I follow the laws etc. Sensible gun control really hurts the normal person and does little or next to nothing to keep it out of bad people.

    I feel really bad for anyone who suffers from horrible things such as killings made from an deranged individual. It breaks my heart. I certainty feel for that mother, truly I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in NY, Linda, where we have sensible gun regulations. I also assume you secure your weapon when not in use, and I'm going to assume you carry insurance -- not required but sensible. I have no issue with responsible gun ownership.

      Delete
  2. Robin,

    How sad to read about Linda's son being killed. That was a senseless tragic event and until these sorts of people have a change of heart evil will always find a way to be perpetrated. Thanks for sharing your evening with us in Blogosphere, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why there are people against sensible gun control laws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is waiting -

    Plus, making profit with it is as easy as 1--2--3!

    Here is how it all works...

    STEP 1. Input into the system what affiliate products you want to promote
    STEP 2. Add PUSH button traffic (it LITERALLY takes 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. See how the affiliate products system grow your list and sell your affiliate products on it's own!

    Are you ready to make money ONLINE?

    Click here to make money with the system

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday