Saturday 9 — Beethoven’s edition

It’s time for Saturday 9

Ludwig Von Beethoven: Complete Symphonies

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Complete Symphonies (2019)


This week we're classing up the joint with a well-received box-set by the Danish Chamber Orchestra. You can listen to the orchestra here.

1) Beethoven is one of classical music's best known composers. Do you often listen to classical music? 

I like many musical genres.  I don’t know as much about classical music as I’d like, but I do listen occasionally.  My favorite composer is Tchaikovsky.

I really like Andre Rieu, his forte is Strauss waltzes.  But give today’s theme ...







2) Though a musical genius, Beethoven never learned to multiply or divide. When faced with a simple arithmetic problem, do you do it in your head? Or do you rely on the calculator in your phone or on your computer?

It depends.  I can do addition and subtraction in my head, but I’m lazy.




3) Beethoven bathed often, which was considered "quirky" for a man of his time. (Understandable, since you had the heat the water, haul it to the tub, and then empty the tub bucket by bucket when you were done.) Do you bathe in the morning or in the evening?

I prefer to shower in the morning, but I get up so early on workdays that sometimes it’s just easier to shower at night.




4) Adam Fischer conducts the Danish Chamber Orchestra for this 5-disc set. He began his musical career young, when he sang in the children's choir of Budapest's National Opera House. Have you ever sung in a choir or chorus?

I sang with the chorus in elementary school and junior high.    My musical career ended in high school.



 
5) Mr. Fischer was awarded the Gold Medal of Arts from the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. Tell us about a prize or award you have received. (Yes, that ribbon you earned for penmanship in second grade counts.)

 My soon-to-be-former employer gave me an award in June in recognition of five years of service to the company.



6) The Danish Chamber Orchestra is beloved in Demark. When, in 2014, the Danish Broadcasting Company announced it would no longer fund the Orchestra, citizens began a crowdfunding campaign and raised more than $1,000,000 to keep the music playing. Have you ever contributed to a crowdfunding platform, like GoFundMe, Kickstarter or FundRazr?

Yes.  Sad story.  A friend was working as an Uber driver.  He was killed in a carjacking.  He would gladly  have given them the car.  I donated to the GoFundMe for his widow.



7) The Orchestra's "home" is the Royal Danish Conservatory of Music in Copenhagen. Where were you when you last heard music played live?

Can’t believe it’s been been so long ....

In December we saw The Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.  The show includes singing, dancing, and music, including selections on the world famous organ.

8) In 2019, when this boxed set was released, China became the first nation to land a spacecraft on the far side of the moon. Are you fascinated by stories about space?

Yes, both science and science fiction.  Our visit to the Kennedy Space Center in 2016 was memorable.











9) Random question: Tell us about your week. These are extraordinary times, and it might feel good to share.

Trying to get used to the new normal has not been fun.  NYC is now the epicenter of the pandemic.  Those of us in the suburbs are feeling the pain too.

Standing on line to get into a supermarket, only to see bare shelves, reminds me of what we heard about the Soviet Union back in the 70’s.  

My daughter Becca is handling self quarantine but can’t wait to be released. My daughter Jen, a civilian employee of the police department, is working only a few days a week to cut down on office density.  Drew is a substitute teacher, so he’s not working at all.


My orthopedist canceled my upcoming appointments because of the virus, so I’ll be living with knee pain awhile longer.

Gas prices are so low now, but there’s nowhere to go.

Joke I heard from a friend who is also a Rabbi:  this year Passover might be canceled because of a plague.





 

Comments

  1. Your candid answer to #2 made me smile.

    #9 -- Here in Chicagoland, the shelves are still pretty stocked, except for paper towels and TOILET PAPER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just my opinion, but our esteemed governor keeps saying, "Words matter"--and then he contradicts himself. Words matter, indeed...so, are we quarantined or not? According to our police dept, we can get out and take a walk or ride a bike, just no contact sports. ANYWAYS--not liking the new normal at all, grin...and you know that about me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you listen to our governor, no, we are not quarantined. Quarantine is what my daughter is doing. The rest of us are limiting outside trips.

      None of us are liking the new normal, but better days are coming.

      Delete
    2. I was thoroughly confused by his press conference yesterday...(and for the record, so was my husband and son). It is what it is...and luckily, the police department dumbed it down for me, grin. It's all good, Robin...something has to break, soon, right?

      Delete
    3. It is all very confusing. But we are not quarantined. We are not on lockdown. We are encouraged to stay home and enjoy our own back yards.

      Delete
  3. Stores are still pretty well cleared out here, but they are getting supplies every day and they are now limiting quantities so if you get there early you can usually get something and God bless them, most of the groceries are dedicating the first hour or so of operation to senior citizens only. My daughter and I went at 8:00 this morning and got everything we wanted.

    I am sorry about your friend. That is so awful. I always worry about those who drive and those who ride. It's a crazy world we're living in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. in NYC ride share drivers have to register with the Taxi & Limousine Commission, so riding with Uber is as safe as riding in a taxi. But there are no guarantees. My friend’s killers are rotting in jail, small comfort for what they took from us.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry about your friend (#6). That is so sad. I have never really been on board with Uber and those other rideshare things because of that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am sorry about your friend. People die in strange ways. We are definitely living in weird times. I am in a rural area so it's not so bad, staying home, as I am here most of the time anyway. We also have had runs on the stores, though. Some of the things people buy . . . no potato chips to be seen, but you could go to the produce section and stock up. I went for the healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s amazing what people buy when they panic, isn’t it?

      Delete
  6. Saw your last post and agree completely. You know, Talking it Out is still open if you feel the need to vent. No one's touched it in a while. It could use some new posts.

    I haven't braved a store since the 13th, so I don't know if things are still as bare as they were then. Strange times we live in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday