another this and that

So I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that the Yankees are playing the Houston Astros for the American League championship.  I mean, didn't the '86 Mets play the Astros for the National League championship?

So the Mets didn't make it to the post season, but they did keep it exciting up until the very end.

And congrats to the Long Island Ducks, the 2019 Atlantic League champions.  They defeated the Sugarland Skeeters in Texas, brought the trophy home to Long Island.  Drew went to the victory celebration and got to see the trophy.

We hadn't seen Toy Story 4 in the theaters this summer, so Drew and I watched it on DVD Saturday night. What a sweet little movie!  I remember taking my kids to see the first two Toy Story movies, and I remember crying at the third movie, when Andy went off to college, because my girls were college students.

Yesterday we went out to dinner and a movie.  Or should I say, dinner at the movies? AMC Dine-In is a great idea; we both ordered bacon and brie burgers with fries.

And the movie we saw?  Judy.  Judy Garland's life was not a happy one.  The biopic focuses on her London concerts, given six months before she died.  Here we see Judy, broke and in debt, fighting with ex husband Sid Luft over the custody of Lorna and Joey, unemployable in the US because of her drug addiction.   There are flashbacks to her time at MGM, during the filming of The Wizard of Oz.  Renee Zelweger captures Judy's mannerisms and vulnerability perfectly.  When she sings, she captures Judy's style.  She is a decent singer, but her voice simply does not compare to Judy's.   Definitely a movie worth seeing, especially for Judy Garland fans.

Today I am enjoying a rare day off from work.  No real plans, just rest and relaxation.

Comments

  1. I am glad you gave a review on that movie, I am just not so sure on the actress who plays Judy Garland. Have a great day off, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice songs. The Astros did play the Mets in 1986 NLCS and won the NL pennant in 2005. They moved to the AL in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seriously followed baseball since the mid 80's; I just dip my toe in (so to speak) here and there, but at some point I became aware that the Astros were in the American League (and that the Brewers had also switched leagues, which I found was back in 1998!) I did find the Yankees vs. the Astros a bit vertigo-inducing. But then again, I still rail against the designated hitter and that was introduced almost 50 years ago now (yikes)in the AL. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m a baseball fan, as you know, and I’m ok with the DH rule. But the Astros and the Brewers switching leagues...so not used to that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A