American Pie Rocktober





A cultural history of rock and roll, the lyrics of Don McLean's American Pie are the subject of much  speculation and debate. I remember reading a long article in the newspaper that explained every reference.  I bought the 45 -- the "A" side contained the first half of the song, and the song continued on the "B" side.

The song was released in 1972, when I was 12.  I was fascinated with the lyrics, and memorized each verse.

 The song was so long that radio DJ's joked about playing it when they needed to take a bathroom break.


I can still sing the whole thing from memory.








Comments

  1. Robin,


    I turned 11 in December 1972 but you know for the longest time I thought this song was out of the 80s because that's when I recall hearing it. I wonder why I don't recall it from my childhood? I read somewhere the song refers to Buddy Holly's death with the phrase, "The day music died". I'm not sure how accurate that is because I haven't looked into it. Have a rockin' good day, my friend and feel free to join me when you can to sample the mewsic of well known Hard Rockers from Pasadena! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re not a fan, John?

    Yes, Cathy, the day the music died was February 3, 1959. Holly, Valens and the Big Bopper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in college when this song came out in November of 1971. It became a hit so quickly I will say that I am just as fond of of Weird Al's "The Saga Begins", his "tribute" to American Pie. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I been told American Pie is longest rock song.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tune! It used to be one of my favorites for quite some time, until it started getting too much airplay. No longer a favorite, but still a great tune!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A