Passover

For the Christian world, today is Good Friday, a mournful day, an observance of the Crucifixion, leading up to the joy of Easter on Sunday.

But for the Jewish community, tonight is a joyful occasion.  At sunset tonight we begin the observance of Passover, the festival commemorating the Exodus from Egypt. this year I will observe the first Seder at my mother's house, and Drew is hosting a Seder tomorrow night. 

And yes, at my mother's house, we will use the "museum piece".



I still marvel that something my grandfather bought back in the 1920's is considered worthy of display in not one, but two different museums. 

It's time to observe the ancient traditions, time to gather with family and friends and create new traditions. 

May your holiday -- whichever holiday or holidays  you choose to celebrate this time of year -- be filled with warmth and joy and love.

Comments

  1. I am a totally secular Jew - no synagogue affiliation, do not light Shabbas candles, and (gasp) I eat pork - but twice a year (Passover and Chanukah) I try to observe as many customs as I can from my Ashkenazic heritage. I don't have a seder plate, and since I am married to a Catholic, tonight will be a mashup of two customs - we will eat salmon, and "spagetti with clam sauce" (but with tuna instead of clam, and Passover pasta - which nowadays, isn't that bad). I enjoyed this post and am sharing. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zeisen Pesach and Happy Easter, Alana.

    My daughter is dating an Italian guy, she's doing two Seders and then Easter dinner. By Monday she'll be so overstuffed she won't need to eat for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why that would be a museum piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday