Meteor

I'm not an astronomer, I don't own a telescope or any fancy equipment used for stargazing.

But I developed an appreciation for the night sky many years ago.  I was fortunate to attend school in a district that had its own planetarium.  When I was in elementary school, we'd periodically take a bus up to the high school for an astronomy lesson.

It was the age of space exploration, we also watched NASA launch rockets towards the moon.

What I love about the 21st century, my cellphone -- a computer more powerful than the one aboard Apollo 11 -- has many apps that notify my of celestial happenings. Phases of the moon.  The names of constellations.  Location of planets and asteroids.

And one that tells you all about meteor showers.

November is prime time for viewing meteor showers.  But I live in an urbanized area with significant light pollution.  Still, when I think about it, l look up to the sky in hopes of seeing something.

But ...no.  too early, too late, too cloudy, too much moonlight, ground light.

And then, last night, I just happened to look up as I was getting out of my car.

And I saw it. If I had blinked I would have missed it.  But I saw it.

A brief streak of orange in the night sky.  It lasted only a moment. 

And then it was gone.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday