another this and that

Another mass shooting, this time in a church in Texas.   SSDD.  What's the point of complaining about it, when the NRA has ccontrol of Congress and nothing ever changes?  Our country is headed towards bad times, and I feel powerless....

So today I'm focusing on the small things, the little ways I can improve the world around me.

Tonight I'm going to a meeting, it's an interfaith council that plans several events throughout the year.  Last month we had a panel discussion on how faith and religion address the issue of immigrants in our communities.  In January we're planning an interfaith prayer service to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. We've got a Congressman lined up as guest speaker.

Tomorrow is Election Day, and there are a few local contests, in our town and county governments.  I've been working towards electing two candidates, a woman running for Town Supervisor, and a woman running for a seat on the Town Council.  I'm also supporting a woman who is running for County Legislature.  I am pleased to see so many strong, qualified women seeking office.

I've also been very active at the synagogue.  I'm a member of the Social Action Committee, we have many activities aimed at improving the lives of others.  Last month we had "Mitzvah Day", in which we made sandwiches for a soup kitchen, collected nonperishables for a food pantry, crocheted blanket for hospital patients, created toiletry kits for residents of homeless shelters...For Chanukah we're planning a toy drive for indigent families, and we will have another food drive in February.  I feel good helping our community.

Our Social Action programs are well-funded, in part because of the generosity of the synagogue's Sisterhood.  Sisterhood runs social programs for the enjoyment of its members, but those programs are also fundraisers.  Some of the money goes to improving the synagogue and enhancing its programs, but some is given to Social Action to support our work.

So when I go to a Sisterhood program, I'm glad to participate in whatever raffles they conduct.  And last week I actually won something!







That's a Mexican-themed basket.  Inside I found gift cards to three different local Mexican restaurants, a jar of salsa, two bags of tortilla chips  (one regular, one sweet potato) and a bottle of coffee liquer.

It was nice to win, and nice to know that the money I paid for the raffle tickets will be put to good use.

I can't control the big things, but at least with the small things...I'm trying.

Comments

  1. When it comes right down to it, you are doing exactly what you should be doing, which is helping your local community. Charity really does begin at home, and our home needs so much repair. It's me who is falling down on the job. Enjoy that basket, Songbird! You've earned it. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday