The Waning Days of Summer

Labor Day weekend is coming up, and that means summer is over.

Yes, I know, the autumnal equinox isn't until the end of September, and around her, the warm weather lingers through early October. Though we've actually had a few chilly nights already...

Although ...while the astronomer measures the seasons by equinox and solstice, the meteorologist will tell you that autumn begins on September 1.

But Labor Day weekend means the school year is about to begin. And even though I am not a student, and my children are grown, I am governed by the school calendar because Drew is a teacher,

(I can't think of a time in my life when I wasn't governed by the school calendar ...my dad was a teacher and a principal, I was a student until I was 24, and I got involved with Drew when I was 25...)

I drive past the high school on my way to work, and it was a very busy place Tuesday, with football practice and freshman orientation...

I  The community pool is closed, the crowds have gone from the beach, but fall activities have not yet begun.

Halooween has already arrived at the garden centers and craft stores, and "fall flavors" showed up at Dunkin' Donuts  the other day, but I'm still craving watermelon and corn on the cob.

I guess you could say that September is a transitional month,

The summer has gone by way too fast.  I am not ready for fall.  Guess I need that transition time....

Comments

  1. I look forward to fall for cooler weather, but alas, I know the heat will linger. This week is the first week of school, and we're having a heat wave. (We're the other part of the hurricane system--the opposite pole, as it were.) Naturally. I think I expect heat the first week. (We're looking at 100+ degrees in some spots.)

    But, I remember some Halloweens where it was swelteringly hot. And a couple Thanksgivings and Christmases in the 80s. So, I'm not holding my breath for cooler weather. We can hold on to summer for quite a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday