A semi-authentic New England clambake

So no, I wasn't in New England.  But I could see Connecticut across the Sound.  And this part of Long Island was, in fact, settled by New Englanders. And yes, it's a long, rocky beach ...

I love to go to a Sunken Meadow after work to walk on the boardwalk.    It's a beautiful beach, and at 3/4 of a mile end to end, the boardwalk is a nice place for a walk.  I sometimes do 1 1/2 miles,  or 3 miles if I'm feeling ambitious.  

This time of year the beach is open for swimming, so you tend to see a lot of people camped out on the sand.   The areas that aren't under a lifeguard's supervision are open to fishing.    

And on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings,the snack bar stays open late, with special menus in addition to the usual burgers and fries.  There's live music, and many people bring a picnic and sit on the boardwalk to enjoy the show.

Most of the time I just walk.  

But last night I succumbed to the lure of the seafood fest.

The lobster platter comes with steamed lobster, steamed clams and mussels, boiled potatoes, corn on the cob, shrimp cocktail, and garlic bread.  How could I resist?  

Eating seafood at the beach...one of the simple joys of summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A