the little things -- just another day in NYC

So it was Thursday afternoon, rush hour, and I was in lower Manhattan, at the corner of Fulton Street and Broadway.

That's a very busy corner, even in the best of times.  Right now there's a construction project on that corner, and some of the lanes on Broadway are closed.  One of the construction workers helps direct traffic so that pedestrians can get across Broadway.

As I came up Fulton towards Broadway I could see a small crowd gathered across the street, on the corner in front of St. Paul's.  A woman was lying on the sidewalk, right at the curb.  A man was moving construction cones to that corner, to keep the traffic away from the curb where she was lying.  Several people were on their cell phones.  Just as I was wondering if someone called 911, a police officer walked up from behind me to cross the street.

The police officer helped the woman to sit up, and I heard someone say "She has a bump on her head from when she fell."

And then I noticed something unusual. 

Up against the church fence there was a backpack, a sweater, a cardboard sing and a hat, clearly the property of a panhandler, all scattered as if their owner had jumped up in a hurry ... yes, the panhandler was one for  the first people to rush to help the woman who had fallen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday