Another this and that

So we're dealing with my father's latest health issues.  I'm getting to know my way around that hospital far too well.  Sigh.

And then there's my mother.   A couple of weeks ago she took a bad fall.  There's a single step up from the driveway to the front porch, and there's no porch railing to grab, and she lost her balance.  She's recovering nicely.  But she gave me a huge scare Tuesday in the parking lot of the pharmacy.  Tripped and fell over her own two feet.  I was holding her arm at the time, but couldn't catch her.  I think they heard my screams a mile away.  Fortunately another woman was in the parking lot at the time; she helped me get my mother off the ground and into the car. 

So my sisters and I are dealing with octogenarian parents.  Most of the burden falls to them, by their choice.  I do what I can, but ... My sisters don't think I do enough.   Sigh.

In the meantime, life goes on.

It was a strange Rosh Hashanah, but I'm hoping Yom Kippur will be more "normal".  Nothing like sitting in an overcrowded building with 1,800 of your fellow congregants, listening to services drone on, especially when none of us have eaten.  I walk to synagogue, but not out of religious requirement. I live on the same street as the synagogue, about half a mile up the road.  It's almost impossible to park anywhere near the building during High Holiday services.  I'd feel guilty taking a parking spot.  So I walk.

Jen is settling into the new job.  She's looking to get involved with an after school program, one day per week.  It'll put a little more money into her pocket.  Not a bad thing. 

I'm starting to get to know her boyfriend.  He's a nice guy.  He came to the hospital and stayed with us  when my father underwent his procedure the other day.  He was able to prepare Jen for what she'd see in the ICU afterwards -- he works in a hospital, he's studying to be a either physician's assistant or a nurse-practitioner (I'm not sure which).  It's the "family business", both of his parents are radiology technicians.

Becca is getting a bit anxious.  The big move is on Thursday.  Moving out of the family home and getting your own apartment is anxiety enough, but Becca chose to do this when there's a lot more going on in the city.  The city will be crazy Thursday and Friday.  The annual opening of the UN General Assembly brings all sorts of heads of state to New York, and traffic is insane as the dignitaries take over.  And then, to complicate matters, Pope Francis will be  visiting New York.  He'll address the UN General Assembly, visit the World Trade Center Memorial, Central Park and Madison Square Garden,  etc.

I haven't met Becca's current love.  I've seen his picture on her Twitter, but she tends to keep things to herself until the relationship gets serious.

Drew and I are going to Citi Field Sunday night for the Mets-Yankees game.  The Mets are in first place in their division, and the Yankees are contenders for the wild card, so this year the Subway Series has implications beyond the usual cross town rivalry.  My synagogue bought the tickets back in May, long before we knew how important the game would be; we just figured that the Yankee fans among us would buy as many tickets as the Mets fans.

And yes, our Long Island Ducks clinched a playoff berth earlier this week.  Drew bought tickets for the September 24 playoff game.    If they advance to the championship series, the first two games (September 30 and October 1) will be played in Central Islip.  Drew wants to buy tickets for one of those games.

I've been a bit lax about my walking routine lately. I have to get back into it, I'll be doing the breast cancer walk in 2 1/2 weeks. 

Sigh....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday