Deja vu

I spent Yom Kippur the same way as Rosh Hashanah. Services at the synagogue followed by time in my father's hospital room.

The doctors say he is improving and will be able to come home in a few days. But my father has a myriad of medical conditions requiring a complicated treatment plan, and his current circumstances have made things even more complicated than they were before.

The Rabbi in my synagogue always talks about life and death in his Yom Kippur sermon. This year he included a discussion of biomedical ethics, what is the difference between helping someone to live and keeping them from letting go?

We're not at that point with my father, despite the scare the palliative care team gave my sister. But it was interesting to hear his perspective. Food for thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday