introspection

On Rosh Hashanah it is written.  On Yom Kippur it is sealed.

Unlike the secular New Year, with its parties and  parades and celebrations, the Jewish New Year is a time of introspection.  Tradition holds that the Almighty decides our fate on Rosh Hashanah, we pray that our names be written in the Book of Life.  Our fate is sealed on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.

So I find myself doing some serious self-examination.  What were my successes as a human being this year?  What were my failures?  How can I be a better person in the coming year?

My buzzwords for the coming year will be "patience" and "kindness".

I find that as I am growing older, I no longer have the patience for others I used to have.  I have to remind myself to be patient.  Especially with my parents.  As they grow older, it becomes more and more trying to deal with them.  I  sometimes have to remind myself to take a deep breath and not allow my frustration to show.

Patience, when dealing with my daughters.  They're adults, and "because I said so" stopped working a long time ago.  I hope I've given them a good foundation, so they can make good decisions. 

Patience, when dealing with those idiots other drivers on the road.  Road rage isn't good for anything, and it might just get you killed.

Patience, because, as the adage goes, good things come to those who wait.  Just because I want it now doesn't mean it will happen.  I can't be ruled by impulses, I need to sit back and contemplate what I'm doing.  Plan and execute.

Kindness...well, I'm not a witch, I'm usually not deliberately mean and nasty.  But I can be a bit of a "bull in a china shop" when it comes to expressing myself. It  doesn't always go over well, know what I mean?  Empathy is such an important skill, I need to work on it.

L'Shanah Tovah. May you have a sweet New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday