Baseball!

My NYC baseball pedigree is extensive.  My dad grew up in Brooklyn and to this day has unkind words for Walter O'Malley.  My mom is a Bronx girl who says she grew up in the shadow of Yankee Stadium.  Although they'd known each other for some time, their first "official"  date was to see Joe DiMaggio play.








I understand about crosstown rivalries, but I never felt liking the Mets meant hating the Yankees, or visa versa.  I have always rooted for both teams.  In1973 it was the Mets, of course.  In the late 70's the Yankees dominated.  I remember the shock I felt when Thurman Munson died.  Freshman year of college the fire alarms would go off in the middle of the night, and I'd know the Yanks won another playoff game.














And who could forget the 86 Mets,  and Mookie Wilson, and the ball rolling through Bill Buckner's legs?  I was working downtown then, and had to go to the ticker tape parade.








The Yankees are the dynasty, the powerhouse.  The Mets are the team with heart, the little engine that could.







In the late 90's the Yankees were unstoppable, winning World Series after World Series.  Ticker tape flew like crazy.  Mayor Guiliani presided over pep rallies and parades.  I loved it.














Then came the year 2000, and both teams were really hot . . .I rooted for both teams during the playoffs . . .was totally beside myself over the thought of a World Series where both teams were from New York . . .








And then it became reality.  A Subway Series.  Games at Shea, games in the Bronx.  The mayor in a baseball cap with divided loyalties.











And the Mets went down in flames.  I was crushed.  Couldn't bring myself to go to the ticker tape parade.  Guess I found out where my loyalties lie.






And then, a year later . . . September 21, 2001.  The first post-9/11 game in NYC . . .Shea was packed.  The Mets wore the caps of NYPD, FDNY and the like. And Mike Piazza hit a home run . . .And we knew that things would never be the same, but we'd go on and eventually things would be better . . .the Yanks went on to play in the World Series again . . .but it was that home run that won our hearts . . .






So now I unabashedly declare myself:  I am a Mets fan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday