Do you have a favorite item of jewelry?

these are mine:




I just love these earrings. they're long and dangling and they even touch my shoulders when I wear them. I wear a lot of black, so these earrings go with many of my outfits.

but more important is that these earrings bring back a pleasant memory.

I bought them in "Morocco", or rather, the Morocco pavillion at EPCOT. ( Wouldn't you know we're riding on the Marrakesh Express, Wouldn't you know we're riding on the Marrakesh Express,They're taking me to Marrakesh, All aboard the train, all aboard the train )

we'd stopped at the Tangierine Cafe for schwarma and other Middle Eastern delights. not that I need to go to Disneyworld for good hummus, I get plenty of that right here in NYC,but the food at Tangierine was top notch. and the whole atmosphere of "Morocco" was wonderful - evocative of the Tales of Arabian Nights (Arabian nights, Like Arabian days, More often than not Are hotter than hot, In a lot of good ways) -- in fact, I did see Jasmine and Aladdin and the Genie posing for pictures. And I half-expected to see Sidney Greenstreet in a fez strolling through the plaza on his way to Rick's (You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh...) Or Bob, Bing, Dorothy and a camel (We're off on the road to Morocco...Like Webster's Dictionary we're Morocco bound)

and after we ate I browsed the shops -- full of merchandise imported from Morocco, made me want to visit the actual country. Exotic clothes, jewelry, tea sets, carpets, baskets, wind chimes, glass lanterns...

I was wearing this:




that is a hamsa (that's Hebrew, pronounced with the same gutteral sound as "chutzpah" and "Chanukah"), a symbolic representation of the Hand of G-d. Mine was crafted in Jerusalem. When the sales person at the register saw my necklace, we had a very interesting discussion about Jews and Arabs and symbolism (the Arabs also use this symbol, they call it the Hand of Fatima or the Eye of Fatima), and about the Jewish community in Morocco. A Moroccan man and an American Jewish woman found common ground that afternoon. Perhaps the rest of the world can follow suit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday