Saturday 9

 

Sh-boom


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to 
answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!


Saturday 9: Sh-Boom (1954)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) 70 years ago this month, the Crew Cuts were singing that life could be a dream. When you awaken, can you recall your dreams?

No.

2) The lead singer refers to his girl as "darling," "sweetheart" and "baby." Have you used an affectionate endearment lately? If yes, who were you speaking to?

Yes, I called my cat “sweetheart”.

3) Two members of this Canadian quartet are brothers, born 15 months apart. Do you have siblings? If yes, how close in age are you?

There are four of us, all girls.  I’m the eldest.  My sister is 13 months younger than I am, and my other two sisters (twins) are 7 years younger than I am.

4) A hit in Toronto, the Crew Cuts traveled by car to appear on TV in New York. How are your wheels? Would you give your vehicle a tune up before embarking on a 1,000 mile (500 miles each way) road trip?

I drive a 2013 Prius C.  It’s a hybrid, gets great gas mileage.  It’s got only 67,000 miles on it, so it’s still in great shape.  I just replaced the  battery.  I do mostly local driving; we take my boyfriend’s Pacifica on longer trips. So if I were going to drive a long distance I’d definitely want a tune up first. 

5) In 54 and 55, they had five Top 10 hits. Then the Crew Cuts fell off the charts. Founding member Rudi Maugeri suspects it's because they were a "teen act" and teenage music tastes can change fast. Who did you listen to when you were in high school? 

Well, there was Billy Joel 

And Queen

    

And Elton John

   

And Fleetwood Mac 

And many others …

6) A well-maintained crew cut should be trimmed every 2-4 weeks. Is there an appointment with a hairstylist on your calendar? 

No.  I had a haircut and touched up my color at the end of July (just before my daughter’s wedding).

Let's look at the summer of 1954.

7) 70 years ago, Chicago Bears great Walter Payton was born. Today more than 1200 students are enrolled in Chicago's Walter Payton College Preparatory High School. Was your high school named after anyone? 

No, it was named after our community.

8) J.R.R. Tolkien's Fellowship of the Rings was published. It's the first of three volumes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Have you read the books and/or seen the movies?

Both.  Read the books when I was in high school.  

9) Sports Illustrated was first published. As a special promotion, the premier issue included baseball cards. With the introduction of online communities and trading apps, collecting baseball cards continues to grow in popularity. Are there any card collectors in your life?

No.




Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
 

Comments

  1. Ah, that's the quintessential 70s playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all good music choices! I am going to listen to Queen now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to play Crocodile Rock too! I also added it to my list. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in high school a decade later. Funny how the music changed in such a relatively short time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the same music--but I was obsessed with The Police.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the 1970s and early 1980s are the best for music. Even the disco. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The high school I went to, East Valley. There mascot was the knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were the Thunderbirds. But here in ZNY you can no longer use Native American symbols so the school is becoming the Red Hawks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!