Saturday 9

Diamond Girl

Welcome to Saturday: 9
. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to 
answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!



Saturday 9: Diamond Girl (1973)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is by Seals and Crofts, a pair of Texas boys who met when they both joined a local band called The Crew Cats. Have you ever visited The Lone Star State? If yes, where did you go?

I’ve never been to Texas but I have cousins who live there.

2) Lead singer Jim Seals compliments his girl by comparing her to a precious stone. What's the nicest compliment you have ever received? Who was it from?

Rather than the nicest, let me tell you about the most memorable.  I was a newly minted attorney fresh out of law school, working for a small NYC law firm.  My boss and I had a case with an unreasonable adversary who didn’t understand the words “professional courtesy”.   I outmaneuvered our adversary, served him with papers on a Friday afternoon in a way that was certain to ruin his weekend.  I walked into my boss’s office and said “He’s going to go home tonight and tell his wife that I’m a real witch.”  To which my boss replied, “Then you’ve done your job.”


3) Diamonds are birthstone for people born in April. What's your birthstone? Do you wear it often?

My birthstone is amethyst.  I have a lot of amethyst jewelry.  

4) In ancient times, Hindus believed diamonds brought good luck. Do you have a good luck charm?

No.

5) On the other hand, some believe that one of the world's most famous gems, The Hope Diamond, is cursed. 14 of its owners have died from unnatural causes. Those who possessed the diamond committed suicide, were murdered, tortured to death in prison, and even torn apart by dogs! If you received a beautiful piece of jewelry that was rumored to be cursed, would you be concerned? Or do you think curses are silly?

There are things in this world we do not understand, mysteries we have not yet solved. I’d be nervous but I’d wear the jewelry,

6) Rare diamonds share an element with the common pencil. Both contain graphite. Sam is crazy about pencils, pens and felt-tip markers. Do you enjoy shopping for office supplies?

Nope.

7) In 1973, the year this record was popular, Shelley Hack was a hard-working and well-paid model. She regularly appeared on the pages of catalogs, on magazine covers and then launched Revlon's popular Charlie cologne in print and on TV. What commercial have you seen recently? Did you watch it on TV, online or on your phone?

The Liberty Mutual ads have been making me laugh lately.

8) Also in 1973, Motown great Stevie Wonder was in a car accident that left him with a scar on his nose. Tell us about how you got one of your scars.

I have a very small scar on my forehead, almost invisible now, but it was a bit more pronounced when I was a child.

In was 1964 and I was 4 years old.  Every week my mother would put me and  my three year old sister in the car and drive to her cousin’s house, and then we’d all go to a bowling alley for the afternoon. 

One time she got a flat tire while driving home, and had to walk several blocks to find a pay phone (remember those?) No sooner did she get the tire thing sorted out than I said “Mommy, there’s a bump on my finger and it itches.”

The next day my sister and I both had chicken pox. My mother said we shouldn’t pick at the blisters, but I didn’t listen.  The scar on my forehead is from chicken pox.

9) Random question: What's your perfect day -- weatherwise?
 





Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 

Comments

  1. It's interesting how old scars do fade as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2 I love it!
    #5 The biggest mystery… Why are people left handed?
    #8 Same here, my battle scar from my brother has faded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 That is awesome
    #9 Shatner's face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2, I love that!
    I have chicken pox scars too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I immediately thought of that movie quote, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had chicken pox but somehow escaped the scars (unless they're somewhere I can't see). Maybe I listened to my mother for once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot about my chicken pox scars. I am going to see the video now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday