I is for Iguana

 My fourth grade teacher was an amazing woman. Her husband worked for the American Museum of Natural History, which had a research station in our community, studying local plants, animals and birds.

As you might expect, she loved  animals, loved teaching about animals.  So our class had a number of “pets”.

Including Iggy the Iguana.

Iguana is a genus of herbivorous lizards that are native to tropical areas of Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.  Quite exotic for a classroom on Long Island in the 1960’s.  And we were all fascinated. 

So when I was in Colombia in December 2022, and I saw these guys, I couldn’t help but think about my fourth grade teacher.






Comments

  1. How big are they? I remember they were a good size, not as big as the Gila monster, but still big...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys were big, about the size of the average house cat

      Delete
  2. He's kinda ugly, isn't he? But I bet you all loved your 4th grade iguana.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday