Music Monday

 And the theme:


Memorial Day songs remembering those in general or a specific person who served, pick songs you think that person might have enjoyed or songs that make you think of a your fallen hero


But before I get into the theme, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the death last week of rock icon Tina Turner.


  



Now, as for the theme...my father was a proud member of the Greatest Generation, having served in the United States Army in World War II, stationed in Italy.   He turned 18 in February 1945 and was drafted shortly thereafter.  He was discharged December 13, 1946, and always considered Friday the 13th a lucky day.

Here he is, with his parents and sister, when he returned home from the war.



He died in October 2015.  We had military honors at his funeral.  The Army never forgets those who served.  

So in my father's honor, songs that were popular during WW II

Let's start with some Andrews Sisters




Oh,  I  like them.  I really like them.  so let's hear another from them.


  

How about a bit of humor propaganda from Spike Jones?


   

Something hopeful from Vera Lynn


  

And we will end with Bing Crosby.


  


Comments

  1. Very nice post. Thanks for your father's service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we were on the same wavelengths, and you picked some of my favorite World War II era songs. Vera Lynn was a national treasure to the English, and I can continue to swoon to Bing's voice. I had a Spike Jones album long ago - I should have remembered that song! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tributes to both yoir dad and Tina! My father-in-law had a contingent of American Legionnaires at his funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list and a perfect song to end with. You know that some never did come back. Live the comical song and reminds me of my mom, who was German, and grew up during the Nazi Regime( in fact, she met Hitler!). She thought it was all silly to have to outstretched the arm and say " Heil Hitler" so she just raised her elbow up( like that S.O.B) but said "Hight-ler" she got into trouble for that. It was so sad during that time and all the other wars since. My dad wax Canadian and fought and was part of the liberation of Holland. My parents met many years later when my mom immigrated to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin,

    You remembered the great musical legend, Tina Turner. Nicely done!

    What I really like is your warm tribute to your dad for his service in WWII. He was a youngster when he was called to serve like so many. I think DH's dad was in his early 20s. Luckily, just before he fixing to deploy overseas the war ended. I'm indeed thankful to your dad and my FIL for their service. You have every reason to be proud of your pops. :) Your music picks went along with mine, didn't they? How cool is that?! Thanks for joining the 4M party, my dear. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to your Dad, Songbirdie and some very nice songs too😺 Tina was a great talent and we love her songs😸Extra Pawkisses🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday