Another this and that

 So I am enjoying being back in the office.  I like the idea of actually going to work two days a week.  I like having a desk that is not in my house, I like seeing my coworkers and having social interactions with them.  And all those little things, like knowing the bathroom code and buying lunch in the sandwich shop  downstairs (yes, I managed to find things to eat in an sandwich shop -- they make a great chopped salad).  And I like the flexibility of being able to work from home when I need to or want to.

And, as you have seen, I've been walking in Eisenhower Park.  It's far more interesting than just walking around the neighborhood.  I'm going to try to get over to Wantagh Park and Jones Beach more often, too. 

After all, the summer season has officially started.  We had the annual Memorial Day barbecue on Sunday.  Smaller than usual group this year.  But we had great weather, good food, interesting conversation, a very nice afternoon and evening.

I'm still adjusting to the gluten-free lifestyle.  It's fairly easy at home, but when I go out  to a restaurant it can be more challenging.  Chain restaurants usually provide a list of allergens in their food, and many chains have food they offer as "gluten-free" or "gluten-friendly".  But it can be frustrating to read a menu and realize there's nothing  there  that I can eat.  We just got  a Korean fried chicken restaurant in the neighborhood, and we're about to get a new chicken sandwich place.  At least PDQ (my favorite fast food chicken) offers grilled chicken as an alternative.

I'm going to have to figure out food when we go see the Ducks next month.  We were supposed to see a game last week, but it rained, so our first game will be June 8.  In previous years I'd get a burger, or a hot dog, or maybe a personal pan pizza, whatever I felt like eating at the ballpark that night.  Now I have to think about what I can and cannot eat.

At least there's a gluten-free restaurant at Citi Field.  We've got tickets for a game in August.  

Yeah, Celiac disease sucks.  But I am not going to let it ruin my good time.


Comments

  1. I have a cousin, a grandaughter, and several friends who suffer from celiac disease. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you remove the hot dog or burger from the bun? Not ideal, but it might to in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s an option for me. Not for everyone, though. Some Celiacs are so sensitive to gluten that they’d get sick if the hot dog touched a bun. I’m not concerned about cross contamination though.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully, true gluten free options continue to expand. You have a great attitude about this, though, and you will thrive. As for the office - I will be in our office Thursday for the first time since September - not to work, but for an event - and I'm looking forward to seeing various co workers in person for the first time in months. I am remaining fully remote but then again I only work part time anyway. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday