More from Eisenhower Park

 I hope you know that when I take you for a walk in Eisenhower Park, I am showing you only a small portion of the the park.  Eisenhower Park is huge, over 930 acres.  That's larger than Central Park  in NYC.  There are picnic areas, playgrounds, golf courses, baseball fields, tennis courts, an amphitheater, an aquatics center, an ice rink...

The park started life as a country club.  Nassau County acquired the property during the Great Depression, when the club owners could not pay their taxes.  Salisbury Park opened to the public in 1949, and was renamed Eisenhower Park in 1969. It's centrally located, just under 5 miles from the county seat in Mineola, and it's just down the road  from the county hospital and county jail in East Meadow.  

As we are approaching Memorial Day, this week I visited the war memorial.  It's just above the manmade lake.  


There are numerous monuments surrounding the memorial, honoring the heroes of almost every war/  






The Jewish war heroes' monument is very interesting.




The monument bears a striking resemblance to something found in the synagogue -- the desk upon which the Torah scrolls are unrolled to be read.

I also visited the Rose Garden, a quiet, contemplative spot which sits near some of the original country club buildings.  I love the Tudor revival architecture.





My walks usually take me down to the lake, where I can see wildlife.





  



Shot some more video...

  

I am really enjoying these walks.

Comments

  1. That is one lovely (and big) park. Good grooming is vitally important to birds. I found your video so relaxing. Too bad it's a bit far from Syosset, where I will be part of next weekend - my time is limited. Thank you for your recommendation of visiting Planting Fields FYI - we've booked tours for Saturday - the guest services gentleman was so helpful! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Eisenhower is a bit far from where you’ll be, but I hope you enjoy Planting Fields..

      Delete
  2. What a nice place to get your walking in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard. But it sure pretty. Like like a nice place to walk.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday