Vanilla pudding

I was eating vanilla pudding the other night, and the taste reminded me of something that happened about 20 years ago.

I had pneumonia, I was so sick that I wound up in the hospital for a few days.  I saw a really horrible doctor and a brilliant doctor, but that’s a story for another day.

I was about 40 years old at the time, and my roommate was about twice my age.  She had broken her hip and needed surgery, but there was a problem:  she was on Coumadin, a powerful blood thinner.  She couldn’t have surgery until her Coumadin levels dropped, because otherwise the doctors would not be able to control the bleeding during surgery.

So they prepped her for surgery, meaning she wasn’t given breakfast or lunch, but her Coumadin levels were too high, so the procedure was canceled.  Food service hadn’t ordered a dinner tray for her, but fortunately the nurse was able to provide a sandwich.

They prepped her again the next day, but her Coumadin was still too high…she was eating her sandwich when she noticed the vanilla pudding cup on my dinner tray.

She asked the nurse for some pudding, but the nurse didn’t have any.  The nurse said, “I’ll make sure you get some after your surgery.”

She looked at my tray …

How could I refuse?  Of course I gave it to her.

I went home the next day, sufficiently recovered to spend a week in my own bed.  And my roommate was being wheeled to surgery just as I was leaving the hospital.

Comments

  1. My mother in law was also on Coumadin for years, so I can see how this could have happened. I hope her surgery was successful and that she lived many more years. It's amazing the memories that senses such as taste or smell can bring back. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how you both ended up in the hospital at the same time. It's funny what will trigger a memory. And some memories get triggered at the oddest times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday