#skywatchfriday — down by the sea

Sea-Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.
 
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
 
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.


Some people around here forget that they live on an island.  Some revel in it.  

I enjoy a quiet walk by the water, alone with the salty air, the cry of gulls, and my own thoughts.   It’s my serene place.

From my walk by the bay:


  





Comments

  1. I lived the first five months of my life in the Arverne neighborhood of the Rockaways. My Dad would tell me stories of wheeling me (in a 1950's baby carriage) on a boardwalk by the ocean. I've never been back in all these years, but I know a little piece of me is entangled in that poem. Not that I would ever head to sea - I suffer from major seasickness. But I love scenery like your pictures show. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something nice about being near the water. The smell. The air. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sea. The sea. The wonderful sea. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday