Music Monday

 And today’s theme?  It’s National Radio Day, so we’re asked to post songs we remember from the radio.

Growing up on Long Island in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, my radio station was WABC, 770 on the AM dial, the biggest radio station in NYC.  A weekday lineup that included Harry Harrison (the Morning Mayor), Ron Lundy, Dan Ingram and Bruce Morrow (Cousin Brucie) at night.

You may remember Morrow as the DJ in Dirty Dancing, or from the oldies show he used to do on Sirius XM.  These days he has come full circle, he can be heard every Saturday night on WABC, which is primarily a talk radio station.  You can find the show on the station’s website.  

You can find complete shows from WABC’s heyday all over YouTube, but I’ll just give you a few samples.

Harry Harrison 

  

Ron Lundy (“Hello, Love!)

 

Dan Ingram 

 

And, of course, Cousin Brucie 

 



WABC dominated the airwaves…until it didn’t. The end of an era came in 1982, the day the AM music died.

So it’s 1973, I’m 13 years old, and my transistor radio is permanently tuned to 77 WABC.  And here’s what I may have heard:


  

 


 

  


  




This was a really great theme.  I really enjoyed putting this post together.  

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your take on the theme. I prewrote mine yesterday and it publishes tomorrow. I think we were thinking along the same lines except I'm older than you are, so I concentrated more on the 60's. I linked to one of the Cousin Brucie WABC dance parties from this month and it's a bit sad for me to hear how his voice has changed with age. Although it's great that he's plugging along at age 86! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "Smoke On The Water"
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Bad Leroy Brown" makes me think of my uncle Roger Dale every time I hear it. The only thing I can think of is because he was always in trouble. lol "The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia" always gave me the creeps when I was younger. It was the first thing I heard by Vicki Lawrence that I really liked, too. She didn't do much after her #1 hit. Great oldies tagged with fond memories. Have a boogietastic week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great songs and what great radio memories. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could remember the radio station I listened to in my youth. Long forgotten. Love your playlist.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday