Saturday 9

 

A Hard Day's Night

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) John Lennon sings that he's been working like a dog. What's the hardest job you've ever had? What made it so difficult?

The summer before my senior year of college I worked in a factory.  I was on the  assembly line.  The work was monotonous, and the people around me... I don't think anyone truly likes working in a factory, but it's honest work ...well, it was definitely a life lesson for me, I was delighted to go back to school in the fall, because facotry work was not for me.

2) Despite the hard work, he likes his life and asks, "So why on earth should I moan?" What's the last thing you complained about? Who were you talking to? 

I'm sure it was a gripe about work.

3) John was raised by his Aunt Mimi. She meant well when she told the teen-aged John, "The guitar's all right, but you'll never make a living out of it." What's the worst advice you've ever received?

I tend to ignore bad advice, so I really don't remember.

4) This week's song was cowritten and also sung with Paul McCartney. Paul's father was more supportive of the lads' show business aspirations than Aunt Mimi was, but he still worried that his son wouldn't be able fully support himself as a musician. To please his dad, 17-year-old Paul worked over the Christmas holiday season as the "second man" on a delivery truck. Paul would be the one to hop off the truck and drop off the packages while the driver could keep the motor running and the heat on. Where was the last package you received from? (Extra points if you share what was in it.)

A salad spinner I bought on Amazon.

5) After Christmas was over, Dad insisted Paul get a full-time, year-around job. He ended up at a factory, winding heavy coils to be used in electric motors. He hated the work but enjoyed the lunch hours, eating jam sandwiches and, weather permitting, kicking a soccer ball around the yard with his coworkers. What's for lunch at your house today?

Tuna salad sandwiches.

6) In early March 1961, the Beatles accepted a booking to play lunch hour gigs at Liverpool's Cavern Club, and so February 28, after less than two full months, Paul said goodbye to factory work. What's the shortest you ever stayed at a job?

Three months.  quit a job I loved to try something new, went back to my old job.


7) Enough about these Brits! Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. How many different employers have you had?

Too many.

8) This weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore? 

I refuse to answer on the grounjds that it may incriminate me.

9) Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the new school year. When she was a kid, Samantha was crazy for her brand new box of 96 Crayola Crayons. It even had a sharpener in the back! What do you remember about preparing to go back to school? If you're an educator, let us know how you get the classroom ready for the kids. 

When I was really young, girls had to wear dresses to school, they were not permitted to wear pants.  My parents would take me and my sister to some discount place to buy a bunch of dresses. There were no dressing rooms at the store, so we'd try things on while standing on the selling floor.  I was in 3rd grade when we moved to a new neighborhood, and I could wear pants to school -- no more trips to the discount place for dresses.

 

Comments

  1. I didn't mind wearing dresses. I sewed many dresses and they were easier than making pants. Now the girls where short shorts because the weather is so hot and the schools are lax on dress code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect, though I hated having to wear a uniform, it sure made getting dressed for school easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate dressed. To this day I don't wear them. I think I own one. I don't mind skirts but for some reason, dressed just . . . ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have relative who want to do in the creative field to make living. They were more or less encourage to get a so called practical field and their creative endeavor should be use as secondary thing.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I imagine you suddenly hit an age when trying on dresses in the store was mortifying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't able to wear pants in school until my senior year of high school. Once they permitted it, I never wore another dress again to either high school or college. I did wear them at work when I needed to, but hated them - and the nylons one had to wear back then, too. Oh, about the music - I owned that album when it first came out. Loved it. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to wear skirt suits for business for the longest time.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed wearing dresses as a kid and even in my twenties, but I hate them now. I have to be comfortable all of the time. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back to school... Sigh. Some of us *ahem--me--ahem* have been "back" to school since July.

    Now I have "A Hard Day's Night" stuck in my head. Although, there are worse songs that have been stuck there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday