Wednesday HodgePodge

 


1. Is school back in session where you live? Is everyone in person or does your system still offer a virtual option? Are kids wearing masks? 

School has not started here yet.  New York's school year usually runs from early September to the end of June.   Drew's students start on September 1, but the district where my daughters went to school doesn't start until September 9.  NYC public schools start September 13.  This year all New York schools will be in-person only.

New York has a very high rate of vaccination and a very low rate of active infections.  Several school districts, responding to parent pressure and/or pending lawsuits, decided that masks would be voluntary in their schools.  However, New York's brand-new Governor, Kathy Hochul, is imposing a mask mandate.  I can't wait to see the next round of lawsuits...

2. Something you still do 'old school'?  

I take notes at meetings, etc. on a legal pad. Pen and paper are still my friends.

3. One lesson you've learned in the 'school of life'? 

Don't sweat the small stuff.

4. When you were in school did you pack a lunch or buy a lunch? Your favorite thing to see on the lunch menu or inside your lunchbox back in the day? 

Sometimes I'd buy lunch,  sometimes my mother would pack lunch.  Pizza was always the best lunch.
 
5. August is National Family Fun Month. Tell me something fun you’ve done this month. 

The Jimmy Buffett concert at Jones Beach, in the pouring rain.  

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I can't believe how fast the summer went by.  It's almost fall...

Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to fall!

    It's been a good summer. I know this school year will go by fast too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the pizza at your school cut into squares? I remember going to eat with my kids when they were in elementary school and I actually liked the square pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall won't be here until the end of October. I liked it better when schools started after Labor Day. I am thankful the kids have to wear mask in schools of my grands when not be able to come with us as often as they do. Great that you could go to the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when our school year started in September and ended in late June. Sigh. It was not that long ago...

    We are all masks in class, although I spend lots of time telling them to pull the things over their noses. Grrrr. (Haven't had an issue with them not wearing them, though.) And our governor (who is facing recall next month) signed a bill making all school lunches free. I wonder how many kiddos will continue to bring lunch now. (Although, the school lunches aren't that great, so...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of home schooling and I understand the social part of going to school. I would be terrified to send my kids into public school here in North Idaho. I doubt many will be wearing the mask. Including the staff.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I remember pizza for school lunch too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our school district (Southern Tier of New York) also starts September 9. All in person except if student has compromised immune system, in which case a provision will be made for virtual through BOCES. ( Boards of Cooperative Educational Services, which provide various services such as vocational education and other programs statewide) Our county vaccination rate is below that of the state as a whole, though. As Songbird pointed out, we will have a statewide mask mandate this school year. I think our free lunch rate in our county is over 70%.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday