Music Monday




This week's theme:

It’s Native American Heritage Month. Let’s share songs inspired by, performed by or about Native Americans’

A difficult theme, because I don't want to be politically incorrect or offer insult.  If I post something inappropriate, let me know.

This is the first song that came to mind.  It tells how the Cherokee nation has been abused.




Next up, a song from Cher.  I think the costume (which is fantastic!) might be problematic in this day and age, but not the song:




I always thought this next one was a folk song, but I have learned it was written in 1907.  The song tells of a young Indian girl's loss of her sweetheart who has died in battle. My grandmother, an immigrant to this country, learned this song at some sort of family-oriented summer camp she attended  when my mother was a little girl.  Grandma would  sing it to me and my sisters occasionally, even though she  couldn't remember all the words.




Now this last one is from Disney.  A Disney Princess who is Native American!  The movie, released in 1995, was not historically accurate; we visited Jamestown, VA in the summer of 1996, and my daughters were surprised to learn the truth about Pocahontas.






Comments

  1. Ugh, Cher, lol. Have a great day, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. History proves that we never let the facts get in the way of a good story... Well done set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet that your Grandma used to sing that to you. Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choices! I believe Cher does have some Native American blood. Thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an interesting experience with a woman who was of Powhatan ancestry. When I had a summer job in Manhattan in 1973 (going into my senior year of college), another summer co worker recognized me from junior high We had both been in the same music class. (Our music classes were quite large and I didn't remember her at all.) We sometimes ate lunch together I never saw her again after that summer but I remember how proud she was of her ancestry. Nice set; I understand that Cher has some Cherokee ancestry. And she really does rock that outfit. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job my friend. The tunes you've chosen are not only about our American Indian heritage but about the heart and where you feel you live. Great song choices also. Thank you for helping with the choices. Thanks for taking us to our heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always loved this song. It always made me think about what would have happened if the Indian would've won? What do you think would've happened?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin,

    I wonder if someone might use Cher's 'Half Breed'. I always liked that song as a kid. :) What do you mean her costume might be problematic? I don't see anything wrong with it? lol Cher's showing her womanly assets with pride. I wish I could wear something like that now but after three kids and time then these aren't my best years for a skimpy outfit. 'Red Wing' is an introduction. I enjoyed the folksy tone of the song. I love the classic Disney Princess animated films and the mewsic is fabulous! Excellent job with your song choices, my dear. We're getting our first snowfall this morning. It won't stay but the cold temps are with us for the rest of the week. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathy,

    the "woke" crowd might complain about "cultural appropriation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday