book challenge update

The Dragons of Wyvern Hall by [Wolff, Nancy]

Ever read a book with prose so beautiful you almost don't care about the story?  A book that makes you sigh "I wish I could write like that"?

The Dragons of Wyvern Hall is that book.

Set in modern-day England, the book tells the story of Kate Mallory, a lonely teenager from NYC sent to live with her great uncle in her ancestral home, Ashley Manor.  One night Kate sees garden statues come to life in the moonlight, and soon discovers her own magical powers.

Kate is befriended by Robin, a teenage boy whose mother is a Witch and whose father is a Faery Prince.    Robin, too, has seen the statues come to life.

But there is evil afoot, dark magic that emanates from Wyvern Hall. In flashbacks to Victorian times, we learn the story of Ivor Wyvern, who sought the hand of Kate's great great great aunt Maude, and when thwarted, vowed to ruin the Mallory family and all of Ashley Manor.

In the prologue we meet Chen Shi, the Dragon King, imprisoned in a basement.  How does the dragon's story relate to Kate and Robin and Wyvern Hall?

It is a story that intertwines magic and mystery with danger and adventure, as the secrets of the past are exposed and our heroes seek to right the wrongs set in motion 150 years ago.

If not for certain cultural references  (Kate and Robin discuss going to Starbucks, for example, and Kate makes reference to Lord Voldemort, the villain in the Harry Potter books), the reader might assume that the entire story took place in kinder, gentler times...

Though video games, the internet, Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels are also frequently mentioned ...

I fell completely in love in  chapter two, as I read the description of Christmas at Ashley Manor in Victorian times.  And then the story captivated me.  I just wanted to sit and read, and read, and read, and immerse myself in this magical world.

I loved this book, was sad to see it end.

Comments

  1. I think I would like to read that...btw, long story, but my blog addy c hanged...so sorry for the mishap. https://thatsmesimplylinda.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a sequel? Some books just become old friends, don't they? You can always reread this. (I have a few books that I need to reread from time to time.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ll have to find out if there’s a sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday