Another this and that

Ah, Monday....I managed to leave the house on time, remembered to bring everything I needed with me, even had time to run into 7-11 for a cup of coffee...my 7:11 train didn't arrive until 7:20, and it was an old train, equipment that's been in service since the early 1980's...a very bumpy ride...no, that's not some exotic new perfume I'm wearing, it's eau de coffee...yeah, the train hit some sort of bump, and my coffee splashed all over me...

So it’s the start of winter dry skin season.  Yes, that lovely time of year, when Chapstick and Jergen’s Ultra Healing Lotion become my new best friends.  That time of year when I start to consider what previously was unthinkable: moving to Florida.

Moving to Florida...that was the subject of  Alana’s blog post on Saturday.  And she mentioned palmetto bugs.  I understand her disgust, as I had a nasty run-in with one of this horrid little monsters way back in 1987.  

Drew and I flew down to Ft. Lauderdale to attend a friend’s wedding. We stayed at the home of the bride and groom.  The night before the wedding, the groom and a bunch of his friends (including Drew) went to a local bar for “a drink”.  Several hours later,  none of the guys was sober enough to drive home, so the bride and the matron of honor had to go pick them up,  I volunteered to stay behind, because the groom’s three young children from his first marriage were sleeping in the house.  Some time later I thought I heard a car on the driveway.  I opened the front door, and a palmetto bug flew into the house.  I’m a New Yorker, I had no idea what it was.  I trapped it in the bathroom, put a warning sign on the door, and went to bed.  And was teased mercilessly the next day.

Saw a great show at the Tilles Center Saturday night.  Bernadette Peters in concert.  She sang a lot of Broadway music, mostly Sondheim, of course.  Though she did sing a Disney song, “When You Wish Upon A Star”.  I guess hanging out with Cubby O’Brien is having an effect on her. (Yes,  her drummer is the former Mouseketeer.)

We’ll be back at the Tilles Center in 3 weeks for Mannheim Steamroller’s Christmas show.

But first...this week we get to spend an evening with John Cleese at the Westbury Music Fair.  When we saw him four years ago, the evening was set up as an “interview”, designed to have him tell stories about his career.   I wrote about it here.   Not sure what to expect this time around.  But there’s no meet and greet afterwards.  Too bad.



The meet and greet was a lot of fun ...




Comments

  1. There are other places to move besides Florida. Although, we get our dry season in the winter, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A