Snowmageddon

The bag-shoving incident that I blogged about yesterday was only part of Thursday night's misery.

The region got hit with its first snow of the winter.  That's way too early around here, I don't remember it ever snowing before Thanksgiving when I was growing up, but in the last few years it's happened more than once.  (Thank you, climate change.) 

So it was the first storm of the season, and the snow totals, while relatively modest, were much higher than forecast. ( My corner of Long Island got about 5 inches, I think.)

The commute home was miserable for everyone.

Jen told me her drive home, usually about 30 minutes, took an hour and a half. 

One friend posted on Facebook that she and her husband were driving into Manhattan to see a show, but got stuck in terrible traffic and missed the performance.  Another spent hours in her car, driving to the airport, only to discover her flight was cancelled. A third posted about her son's school bus getting stuck in the snow right in front of her house.

My commute is primarily mass transit.  Thanks to the subway delay, I missed by usual LIRR train, which leaves Penn at about 5:50.  The next train, the 6:20, was cancelled, so I didn't get on a train until 6:50.  the trip usually takes about an hour, but due to bad weather and broken crossing gates, it took over 90 minutes. 


By the time I reached my station, the snow had turned to sleet.   Slogging through a slushy, icy parking lot is not fun.  I'd prefer plain snow to that awful mess.  But it was fairly easy to clean off the car.

It started to rain as I was driving home. I live in a wooded  area.  The trees were covered with wet snow, and when the rain hit, the snow ...and the leaves... started to fall to the ground.  Fun, fun.


And then Friday morning in lower Manhattan:






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday