movie music

Drew and I recently saw two movies that focus on the music industry.  We enjoyed both films.

A Star Is Born, starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, is the fourth version of the story of an alcoholic star on his way down and his beautiful, talented wife on her way up.  I'd seen the Judy Garland version, but not the earlier version starring Janet Gaynor, or the Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson version from the 1970's (I'm going to have to stream that one soon...) 

Cooper gives an outstanding performance as the alcoholic Jackson Maine, a rock star whose best days are behind him.  But what really impressed me was the performance of Stefani Germanotta, who completely shed her Lady Gaga persona and created an incredible character in Ally.  I expect we will se a lot of Gaga during the awards season.

The music was beautiful, and Gaga has an incredible voice.  Cooper isn't really known for his singing but did a credible job.  Still, I'm not running out to buy the soundtrack, I didn't fall in love with the songs.


And then there's Bohemian Rhapsody.  I have been a Queen fan for a long time, so I knew I'd enjoy the music.   The story focuses on Freddie Mercury, from the early days of the band until their stunning performance at Live Aid.  Rami Malek captures Mercury's flamboyance.  Gwilym Lee is a dead ringer for Brian May.   Some liberties with the facts have been taken to enhance the drama.  And the real star of the movie is the music.  Hit after hit after hit ... I found myself singing along.

No need ot buy the soundtrack, I already own an extensive collection of Queen.

Interestingly, one of the previews was for a movie coming out next summer: Rocketman.  It's about another 70's musical icon.    It tells the story of Elton John from his early days as a musical prodigy through his partnership with Bernie Taupin. 

It's on our list...



Comments

  1. I think I need to go see Bohemian Rhapsody alone. My husband is 20 years older and not a rock music fan. Oh Elton John! That will be another movie seen alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to see both of those at some point. I haven't seen the Gaynor version either, but I've seen the other two Stars.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday