#skywatchfriday --Yankee Stadium

Road trip to the Bronx!









As you know, Drew and I are Mets fans, we think of CitiField as "home". 

But we are also New Yorkers, and for two baseball fans to have never set foot in Yankee Stadium...

Well, I never did see the original Yankee Stadium (except from the outside), the one that was torn down in 2009. 

So when an opportunity came to see the Yankees play in the new Yankee Stadium, I had to take it:  a Yankees-Blue Jays game on a Sunday afternoon.

A word, first about the crosstown rivalry.  Mets fans are supposed to hate the Yankees and Yankees fans are supposed to hate the Mets.  I don't believe in the rivalry, I like the Yankees. I will root for the Yankess -- unless they're playing the Mets, of course.  Drew, on the other hand, told me he was panning to root for the Blue Jays.

Welcome to Yankee Stadium:



Our first glimpse of the field.




We got to the stadium very early, because we wanted to visit Monument Park.  Monument Park is an area behind  center field, under the scoreoard, that is dedicated to Yankee Stadium history, and (by extension) baseball history.  Look down from the scoreboard to field level. That dark area?  That's Monument Park.


Follow the signs to get on line to visit the area, but make sure you get there early.



You'll find all of the retired Yankees numbers here, as well as plaques honoring Yankees players, broadcasters, etc.  There are plaques for the two Papal visits to Yankee Stadium, to Nelson Mandela's visit, and to the 9/11 first responders. 

Here are a few of my favorites:












Look at the apartment building outside the stadium, at the area beneath the trees.  Yes, that is a NYC subway train rumbling past the stadium. 


Yankee Stadium tradition:  the grounds crew comes out mid game to do thier thing -- and also dance to the village People's "YMCA", arm movements and all:



 Unlike citiField, there are no planes overhead, but I did see interesting cloud formations.



When the game ended (Toronto won, unfortunately), we exited the ballpark to Sinatra's "New York, New York".

It was a fun afternoon, but I'm not likely to go back -- unless the Mets are playing the Yanks.


#skywatchfriday

Comments

  1. Just the right amount of clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool-looking stadium! (I've never been). Looks like you might get the briefest of peeks at the field while riding on the subway. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I grew up in the Bronx, and I was never to Yankee Stadium, either the old or the current one. Shame on me. My husband, on the other hand, got to see Mets games at the Polo Grounds. I would love to see those monuments one day. Remember Mickey Mantle as a player and Phil Rizzuto as a broadcaster. I was a Yankees fan before I was ever a Mets fan but I gave MLB up many years ago. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The display in Monument Park is impressive. It was a bit like going to Cooperstown

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had to go at least once. Looks impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday