another this and that, commuter version

So on Friday when I got to the office, I noticed that I had ripped my pants, one of the side seams was completely torn open.  I'm sure it happened on the train, probably caught my pants on the armrest as I was getting up from my seat. 

Monday's commute was a real "joy".  My railroad train was about 10 minutes late, and when I finally arrived at Penn Station...well, the entrance to the subway is under construction, so it was uncomfortably crowed.  And a "sick passenger" in Brooklyn meant massive delays heading downtown. When I got to the platform it was so crowded I could barely move.   The first train to arrive was so crowded that I couldn't get on.  But then a miracle happened, I actually got a seat on the next train.

I see her every morning in the Wall Street station, handing out free copies of AM New York.  Last week she announced to the world that she is 48 years old.  I would have assumed she was in her 60's...she must have had a hard life. 

That group of protesters with their signs screaming "Don't trust AmTrust" gave me flashbacks to 2008, when I worked for a company that got a federal bailout...

I've been taking walks at lunch time, exploring the neighborhood.  That place on Cedar Street where I first tasted Indian food is now a Chinese takeout, the Thai place on Maiden Lane is now North Indian (and is next door to a place that serves the foods of East India), but the Thai place o fulton Street is still open for business.   My favorite deli still has a great salad bar, and now they've added a counter for Korean food.

My very cool daughter who actually lives in Manhattan told me that if I like sushi I'd also like poke,so at lunch time yesterday I tried a poke restaurant...I ordered a bowl with seared albacore, sweet onion, avocado, cucumber, hijiki seaweed and sesame oil.  Wonderful flavors overall, but I did not care for the tuna.  Next time I'll do shrimp or chicken or tofu...


Yes, there is definitely an upside to working in this neighborhood.

Now I have to fgure out which gym to join...


Comments

  1. What did you do about your pants? Yikes, that's one of my worst nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned it with a safety pin. Not attractive, but at least I wasn’t flashing anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nightmare memories of commutes to lower Manhattan (near City Hall) when I lived in the northern Bronx. I really am not cut out for the City. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday