Notes from the commuter front

There are two trains I can take to work, a 7:11 to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn and a 7:16 to Penn Station in Manhattan.  The subway ride from Brooklyn to Wall Street is easier than the ride downtown from Penn, so I prefer the earlier train.

So every day last week, the Brooklyn train was consistently 5 minutes late arriving at my station — except for the day that I was running late.  

Wound up on the 7:16 that morning.

I prefer to go home from Penn, though.  There are more express trains, a faster ride.  But the crowds in Penn!  That rabbit warren  of a station services 650,000 passengers a day. And they all seem to be in that station at rush hour.

They should rename the NYC Subway the “sardine can transport”.  I am relearning the skill of standing on a moving train while holding on to a metal pole.  Though I have reached the age where occasionally a man will offer me a seat.

And no matter how crowded a subway car gets, no one will sit or stand anywhere near the homeless guy sleeping in the corner of the car.

But yes, I can navigate this:






The adventure continues ...

Comments

  1. The one job I interviewed for in Manhattan was across the street from the main branch of the NY Public Library. I would have dealt with the madding crowds at Penn every day. I'm kind of glad one of the other jobs had a better offer and was 5 minutes from home. Penn at rush hour always feels like you're trying to swim against all the salmon going back upstream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The train that's always late is on time the day you're late? Naturally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday