more "coworkers"



You can tell from my user name, a name I use here on the blog and elsewhere, that I find birds fascinating. I'm not an ornithologist, I've never studied birds. Maybe some day I will join the Audubon Society.

 I find geese fascinating.

I don't find the mess they leave behind fascinating.  Annoying, troublesome, disgusting ...but not fascinating.

Long Island has an abundance of Canadian geese.  Or should I say, overabundance.  We are a stop for migrating geese, and we also have a considerable number of resident geese.  

I found some interesting facts about geese here.

Did you know?

Resident geese were imported to the area for rebuilding dwindling numbers for conservation or hunting decades ago. The urban nuisance was not anticipated

Geese return to the general area of their birth each year to mate and nest. Sometimes the exact site, sometimes a nearby pond or other body of water.

The instinct to return to their general area of birth is very strong.

Migratory geese fly 2,000–3,000 miles to return to these sites.

Resident geese do not know how to migrate.

I saw more geese in the parking lot at work yesterday morning.  One even followed me, as if it planned to  come inside the office building.




Comments

  1. We have plenty of geese in North Idaho. As I get older birds, clouds, flowers, and such. Are prettier as I age. Or maybe I became wiser and appreciate the kinder and gentler things in life.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birds are interesting critters. We've got a bunch in the area. I love when I see a hawk around, but that's not very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading about bald eagles and how they used to be considered a nuisance bird. Now that their numbers are increasing, farmers trying to practice sustainable agriculture and keep free range birds are finding their livestock attacked by bald eagles. Unintended consequences...at least, canada geese are not aggressive. I used to keep geese when I lived out in the country and you do not want to have a goose attack you. Ouch. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A