Birthday

So it was my sister H's  birthday, and we celebrated with a family brunch.

The birthday cake came from Reinwalds, of course.  Reinwalds is a German bakery in Huntington, and every birthday in my family is celebrated with a Reinwalds cake.  In this case, cappuccino mousse cake.

But my sister F asked me to get some cookies from Dortoni, an Italian bakery in Levittown.  "Get some rainbow cookies, some lace cookies, some black and whites, and some mini cannoli," she told me.  "And some decorated cookies, with a spring theme, like flowers."

So I got flowers. And butterflies. And smilie faces.  And bunnies.

And at the last minute, I saw a cookie decorated to look like a cupcake.



And I remembered a story about my sister H, one I hadn't thought about in years.

When H and I were very little, my parents liked to host family parties, with all the aunts and uncles and cousins.  They hosted a party for H's third birthday.  When it was time to sing 'Happy Birthday", my mother handed out a cupcake with a candle in it to everyone celebrating a March birthday -- except my sister H.

H started to cry.  It was her birthday and she didn't get a cupcake!

Then my parents brought in the birthday cake, the one that had her name on it ....

So yes, I bought the "cupcake cookie."

Well, F and I must have been on the same wavelength.  When it was time to sing "Happy Birthday", instead of bringing out the chocolate mousse cake, she brought H a cupcake with a candle in it ...

Comments

  1. Cake and cookies for brunch sounds like my kind of party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your sister...Oh the cake sound yummy!!! and I love yummy.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like family to mine traumatic memories for laughs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister laughed, too. ;-) Her third birthday was a loooong time ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A